Chapter 20. Stand-off

"Are you even going to use that?" Brooke's eyes drifted nervously to the gun I was holding before looking back at the road.

"This?" I raised the killing machine, getting another nervous stare from my companion who was currently driving the car. "If it means that I'll get my princes back, then yes, I won't hesitate to use it. Are we near the destination?"

Brooke took a map which was perched on top of the dashboard, spreading it before her while taking care to glance on the road once in a while to prevent a collision. Though, I didn't know why she felt the need to be careful. The road we were taking was empty, save for our car and a few cattle's on the side. The location we came from was that secluded.

"We're currently here." Brooke pointed to a small dot on the map, following a road. "Our destination is over here." Her finger trailed on the paper, all the way to a name of a town that I didn't recognize. Though I was set to be the future ruler of this country, I have yet to know all the places here. There would be time for that. For now, I should concentrate on retrieving Talia.

"How many hours would that take us?"

My companion's brows furrowed. "About 30 minutes. We're getting close."

"Okay." I leaned back on the seat, getting back to my thoughts. Killing was the last thing I wanted to do, but I had no other choice. It was either that Vanessa girl or Talia so there was no helping it. Mother and father would not be proud of this decision, or any other decision I have made since they've been gone. But sometimes to get what we want in life, our hands would have to get a little dirty.

Thirty minutes later, Brooke's statement came into reality as our vehicle entered a small town that housed three thousand or so residents. Because it was nighttime, nobody was in sight. The shops were closed, the lights were out, and it was basically a ghost town with nothing but me and my lady companion.

Compared to England where some pubs and establishments were open till 11pm, this place effectively ran a curfew. It must be the Queen's order. If I was the ruler, damn that curfew rule. Everyone would be allowed to eat and drink whenever they wanted.

"Why did we stop?" I glanced at Brooke, my right eyebrow raised in a questioning look.

"We're here. This is Vanessa Krieger's house." Following her gaze, my eyes settled on a two-floor building. It looked like any other house that we've recently passed, not quite shabby, but it wouldn't pass for my mansion in England either.

Removing the safety switch off the gun, I opened the car door quietly. If the captors were inside, they were probably guarding the area. We should proceed with great care. Brooke was by my side in a second, holding her own weapon, a machete. "Blimey Brooke," I whispered. "Who do you think you are? Michonne?" She rolled her eyes. "You need a gun, not a hacking tool."

"No thanks," she whispered back. "I'm more of the hack and slash girl."

"You and your rpg games," I muttered. "Okay, let's circle the place and meet out back." She nodded, preparing to go to the right side of the house. I reached out for her hand before she could go on her way, making me earn a questioning stare from her. "Be careful." I warned.

She smiled at my concern, her midnight black eyes gleaming. "I always knew you cared for me too."

"We're best friends right? Friends have their friends back's remember that."

"Friend zoned again," she said before darting off to the side of the house, her machete shining dangerously amidst the darkness.

Following her example, I tiptoed to the left part of the building, taking care not to make any unnecessary noise. Vanessa's house was dark. It was either they were all asleep, or they were waiting to ambush us when we get inside. I was able to go all the way to the back without spotting anyone, but Brooke wasn't there.