Chapter 29. The Opposite Of Hate

I have been avoiding everyone for the past few days. Once sunlight creeps in, my modus would be to leave the room, stay near the pond, and watch as the day passed by, only returning to the quarters when night came. Van didn't ask me why I did this. She'd silently bring me food for morning, lunch, and dinner. Nobody bothered me there as well, not the other maids or the guards, and certainly not Ronaldo, though I could sometimes feel eyes on my back. Maybe it was him. Maybe not.

All those days, I haven't caught a glimpse of Talia and the other royals. I preferred it that way. To see anyone while I was in this state of mind would be chaotic, especially the princess. So there I was by the pond, wasting my life away, wishing I was someone else or that mother and father, the former king and queen didn't die. If they were alive, everything would be fine. Talia would have been mine, and the throne was my birthright. Now I was really a shell of my former self. It was pathetic.

"Hello your majesty." Van appeared from behind a tree, walking in my direction. She laid a basket on the grass, taking out a sandwich that was wrapped in foil, an apple, and a bottle of water. "Time for dinner." Her voice was cheerful, though behind those blue eyes, I could see her worry for me.

"It's a little too early for dinner Vanessa." That was my usual line to her. I was beginning to sound like a robot. And the whole thing was starting to feel like a chore. Who needs to eat when you could just look at the beautiful pond until you die?

"Nonsense your highness," Van said. Like my lines, it was also her usual reply. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be eating. "The sun is almost down. In college, my friends and I would usually eat dinner at this time." She took my hand, placing the sandwich with foil there. "Now eat. Or Van will feed you like a baby chick."

I took a bite from the sandwich. The flavors of ham, mayonnaise, and cheese exploded in my taste buds, but I might as well be eating Styrofoam because I really had no appetite. "You should go back to college Van, or whatever it was that you were doing before we met you."

"Before I met you," she sighed. "I was mourning the loss of my father and mother. I'd rather stay here with you than go back to that life. At least with you, I feel like I'm doing something for the greater good."

I stared hard at her. "Feeding me is for the greater good? You've lost your bloody mind."

"No. Serving you is for the greater good." Van frowned. "Now if only I could convince you to get out of here, then you could be happy. Heck, if you can only be contented with that Alex girl, then that would be awesome." She shook her head, scrutinizing me further with a look. "Anything is better than seeing you like this my queen. Anything."

"You will be sorely disappointed then." I hurriedly ate the sandwich, taking large bites and gulping it down after chewing thoroughly. Once I finished eating, Van would leave me alone again, and that was what I was wishing for, to be alone with my thoughts once more.

When the sandwich was gone, Vanessa stood up from the grass, taking the basket with her. She began to walk away, but before she was completely gone, she said, "If Talia is your happiness, then I suggest you take her back. I know the real Cybele would do anything for that."

"Easier said than done," I whispered, just as she vanished among the trees again.

Ten minutes later, I heard footsteps approaching. Was it Vanessa coming back to pursue the topic? I focused on the trees, looking if my guess was right. I was wrong. It was my princess, clad in a beautiful blue knee-length dress, her honey colored hair braided like its usual style. She looked stunning as always, and my heart nearly stopped beating at her presence.