CHAPTER THREE

I assumed that the most embarrassing moment of my life was rejecting Paul's proposal in front of a room full of strangers. I was very wrong. Having to explain to my closest friends that I rejected said proposal and that we are currently on a break was so much worse.

After all the words of condolences and sympathetic hugs, I finally managed to get everyone out of the apartment. Everyone except for Sophie and Liam, two of my oldest friends who refused to leave me alone in my 'time of need' as they referred to it. Sophie runs around the apartment pulling down streamers and the massive congratulatory banner hanging on the wall, Liam pours me a glass of red filled to the brim while I sit frozen in disbelief on the couch.

Liam breaks the silence, "Char, you know that we're here for you, no matter what."

Sophie rushes into the room with her own glass of red and takes a seat next to me. She drapes an arm around me, her face full of concern. "We're always here for you. Tell us everything that happened."

I don't miss the stern look Liam gives her. That's Sophie; curious, inquisitive and always trying to get to the bottom of every story. It's these qualities that make her the amazingly successful reporter she is.

I pick up the glass of wine from the coffee table before me and return it after I down it all. "I have no idea what happened. I have to pack up my things and move out. Where am I going to go?" I ask no one in particular as realization dawns on me.

"You can stay with us for as long as you need," Liam replies instantly, seeming to sense my impending panic attack.

I shake my head in dissent, "I would never intrude in your lives like that."

Sophie reaches over and gives my arm a comforting stroke, "don't be stupid, you wouldn't be intruding! The couch is yours for as long as you need it. We'll be roomies, just like old times." She gives me an encouraging smile, "I'll start packing some of your things."

I watch as she disappears into our bedroom. The realization that it's no longer our bedroom has me draining the second glass of wine. A moment later, a loud thump sounds from the other room followed by Sophie exclaiming "whoops". 

Without a word, I motion to Liam for a refill. He meets my hopeless gaze with a reassuring grin and passes me the entire bottle. "I honestly don't know where I would be without you both," I say with an attempt at a smile.

"And we wouldn't be where we are without you," Liam pulls me into his side and gives me a bear hug that I didn't know I needed.

"First things first," Sophie announces as she returns to the living room holding Paul's baseball bat. The object looks far too big for her petite 5'2 frame.

Liam and I glance at each other with a look of mutual confusion and then back at Sophie. She holds her hand in the air as though the reason for her actions is obvious.

"You should break some of that bastard's things. I've read that it can be cathartic after a breakup," Sophie articulates when she realizes that we can't read her mind.

"I could never do that to him. And besides, we haven't broken up, we're on a break," I state with more certainty than I feel.

"Breaking something will still make you feel better," she asserts, handing me the bat.

I place the bat by my feet and take a long sip directly from the bottle. At this moment, my only priority is drowning my sorrows in merlot.

"You're insane," Liam jokingly replies to his fiancé.

Sophie responds with a wink, "that's why you love me." She turns her attention back to me and continues with a playful glint in her hazel eyes, "for all he knows, it could have been an accident. Besides, that dining room table is hideous."

"I chose that table," I state trying to keep the amusement from my voice.

"Well, in that case, you should definitely smash it," she replies with a smirk.

I can't help but laugh. No matter how bad things get, I am so lucky to have these two in my life.

Thank you for reading The Ex: Chapter three!Please comment your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed :)

Please comment your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed :)