CHAPTER EIGHT

"And that is why it's best if women remain in the safety of the home."

Ethan concludes as he downs the remainder of his second beer. That was his fourth sexist remark of the night and it was the worst by far.

Sophie glowers at Ethan while Liam looks at me with wide eyes. I keep my expression blank as I try to contain my joy. Ethan is sticking to the list of Sophie's hates that I ran him through earlier. He was playing the sexist playboy faultlessly and it was working perfectly; Sophie wanted to murder him.

"So what you're saying is, after you have exhausted all your options as you put it; you want to settle down, marry, have kids, and make sure that your wife is confined to her home." Sophie clarifies in disbelief.

"The American dream," he states with an exaggerated smile.

"More like an actual nineteen-fifties nightmare," Sophie responds irritably. 

"Come on! Who wouldn't want to stay home, take care of the one they love and not have to work a day in their life," Ethan says, consuming his final bite of gnocchi.

I can see the tension emanating from Sophie. She turns to me, searching my expression. She is wondering why I haven't ripped him to pieces but I just shrug at her, hoping that action alone conveys that he's not worth the effort. Sophie is now directing her murderous look to me.

"Ethan, it's more that everyone regardless of gender should be given a choice to live the way they want," Liam interjects. "That pizza was phenomenal," he adds as he motions to his empty plate, desperately trying to change the subject.

"I don't dispute that. I just think that we don't have equality these days. Women have more rights than men." Ethan continues relentlessly.

Liam holds his head in his hands, his discomfort at Ethan's words obvious. I use my fork to push around the remaining ravioli on my plate in an attempt to hide my amusement. Sophie audibly growls in fury.

"You have got to be joking." She begins, her fingers clamping into white-knuckled fists. "When women have equal pay, are equally represented in leadership positions and are allowed the same safety as men in the streets and their homes; That is the day when we will have true equality."

Sophie scowls with her jaw tight and nostrils flared.

"Relax, it's just a bit of friendly banter. I didn't mean to upset you." Ethan says happily, recognizing he had completed his part of the deal.

"Doesn't it have to be funny to be banter?" Liam interrupts.

Sophie snorts and nods in agreement. They get lost in each other for a moment, their magnetism obvious. I hope the wink that Ethan just gave me wasn't.

"I didn't realize I was at dinner with a group of feminists," Ethan responds putting his hands up in surrender. 

"Your mistake," I say trying to keep the humor from my voice.

"On that note, I think dinner is officially done. If you'll excuse us, we'll go and fix the bill." Liam says reaching for Ethan's arm and forcing him to stand.

"Let me guess, you'll probably have an issue with us paying for your meal," Ethan quips.

"No actually, it's one of the many rights we have as women," Sophie says with a sarcastic smile.

Ethan grins and tips his imaginary hat to Sophie, turns, and follows Liam to the register. I can't contain my laughter at their exchange.

The second the boys are out of earshot, Sophie begins, "do you believe that guy?" She doesn't wait for a response and continues, "he is a sexist ass! Seriously, what the hell was that?"