CHAPTER FOUR

Look, I'm not going to call it rock bottom. But I'm also not going to say that my pride wasn't stinging about the fact that I was twenty-six years old and homeless.

Granted, it was only temporary. After almost five weeks, and not a word from Paul, I had finally leased a one-bedroom apartment in the West Village. As happy as I was to have a place to call my own, leaving my friends was harder than I thought. Sophie and I cried on our last day together, even though Liam reminded us that I was only moving a few blocks away.

I sit in my small office at the back of the restaurant organizing a supply order when Sophie bursts in.

"Char, this place looks amazing. That terrace area is a dream and don't get me started on the new menu. I had to stop myself from drooling."

"I'm glad you like it. Wait until you see the new private area," I smile as I return her warm hug. "I'll give you a tour after lunch if you have time."

"I've already checked out the entire place and you have truly outdone yourself. You should be so proud Char, you've worked so hard and come so far in these last four years," she gracefully makes her way into the chair opposite me.

"Thanks, Soph," I respond with a smile. "What are you doing here so early?" I look to my desktop for the time.

"It's almost one. We organized the wedding tasting for today," she replies with a concerned look on her face.

"Right! I got caught up with orders and lost track of time." I collect the papers spread across my desk and place them into a neat pile.

Although the renovations are complete, I busy myself with work to avoid thinking about Paul. I have yet to shed a tear over everything that's happened, meaning my plans of distraction have been a success. I change the subject quickly to evade the onslaught of questions that usually accompany Sophie's current enquiring look.

"What have you been up to on your day off? How are the wedding plans coming along?"

Her previously narrowed hazel eyes begin to dance with excitement at the question. "I finally booked the accommodation and our flights. I also confirmed the cake tasting for next Thursday morning and don't worry I made sure you were free." As I reach for my phone to add it to my calendar she quickly adds, "I've already scheduled it in."

"Of course you have. I still don't know how you managed to crack my password." I say with the raise of my brow.

"It was surprisingly easy. You should really consider getting tougher security." Sophie responds with a smirk.

I ignore her quip, smile widely, and clap in delight, "only five weeks to go."

"Exactly thirty-two days," Sophie bounces in her chair excitedly.

After five years, Liam and Sophie are finally tying the knot. With Liam's promotion to director of sales and Sophie's success as a news reporter, they had decided that now was the perfect time to get married and begin the family they've always wanted. I helped Liam with the proposal a year ago and now as the maid of honor, I'm determined to give them the celebration they deserve.

"Have you booked your flights yet?" Sophie asks although I'm certain she already knows the answer.

"No, I was waiting on Paul to confirm his time off work," I pause as I remind myself that it is unlikely Paul will be joining me for their destination wedding. I offer a shrug in an attempt to appear nonchalant. "I guess I'll just go ahead and book my flights tonight."

"Char, I know you hate being asked but I need to know. Are you alright?"

I answer as I have the other thirty times she's asked me a variation of the same question. "I'm fine. We haven't broken up, it's temporary."