22

Zoya

"Did his family speak to you yet?"

It was two days and six hours since Zaib's spontaneous visit. A sunny but cold morning welcomed her as she rushed to the kitchen to make herself some herbal tea when out of nowhere Naimat had rung the doorbell and hurried in as if it were her own home.

"Yes, they spoke to my parents. We're meeting this Friday Insha Allah," she mumbled trodding to the fridge with a goofy smile and pulling out the tin of butter.

"I can't believe I had to hear of my own best friend's proposal from someone else! You're ugly and uninvited to my wedding," her nostrils flared and with a fiery gaze, she glared at the girl preparing their breakfast. She plopped down on the kitchen stool with a hmph. Zoya sighed turning towards her bitter friend.

"I've apologized like three hundred times Naim. I'll make it three-hundred-and-one times. Forgive me, my precious friend," Zoya slapped her hands together sarcastically. Naimat sighed, playfully rolling her eyes.

"So like, I'm coming on Friday. I want to be there since I wasn't here when he first came to see you," Naimat declared as she sipped her tea and grabbed the slice of bread which Zoya had already splayed with butter. Zoya nodded, flattening a thick layer on her bread.

"So... do you like really 'like' him? Or is it just to get married off?" Zoya remained silent but an inevitable smile broke her face and she looked down immediately, feeling her body heat up. Naimat stared calculating her body language. As she worked out the math, she bounced off the stool and jumped on Zoya with a deafening squeal.

"Oh my Allah! I can't believe this. Zoya, we've fallen for best-friends who've fallen for us. Is this what heaven feels like? This is absolutely crazy!" She yelled with her full heart. Zoya responded to her bone-crushing hug with a laugh and hugged her back with an equal amount of joy.

-:-

The masjid was as lively as ever as she walked in with the largest smile and a load full of gifts and food. Everyone scrambled around her and Naimat as they distributed the items to the children and the workers there. Almost everyone had disappeared from around them as they unboxed their gifts with desperate gazes and excitement throttling them. They laughed and shared as they appreciated all the gifts.

"Hm, what is it our lucky week?" Maya quirked an eyebrow suspiciously. Zoya stared back confuzzled at her words. "What do you mean Belles?" She asked, kneeling down to her.

"First that Zain guy decides to flood us with a crazy amount of toys now you're back with more. What's going on Mushu?" Maya explained, her eyes glittering with excitement. Hearing this, she sat speechless, her body stiffening at the mention of him.

He did? Was it because he was happy... happy for their marriage? Could it be? Her heartbeat escalated as she thought of him. Was he as joyous and excited as her?

"That's because that Zaib guy and Mushu are about to get married."

Zoya gasped, jerking up to punch Naimat but she seemed to dodge it as she slid around to where stood an astonished Maya.

"Oh my God, really?" She almost whispered. Zoya remained quiet. Before she could explain, Maya jumped into a hug, her tiny arms just reaching her waist as she rested her head on her abdomen. "That's great Mushu!"

Filled with warmth, Zoya returned the embrace and giggled as Naimat joined in flicking away an imaginary tear.

-:-

Friday. It was Friday. It was Jummu'ah.

Upon awakening, Zoya dashed to the bathroom and after brushing her teeth, she applied her citrus face mask. Naimat was specifically good at making homemade products using food expertise. According to her, commercial companies were only good at scamming and weren't even aware of the products they sold on the market; their main aim? Making millions of bucks. And yeah that's about it.