36

Zoya

"Are you okay?" Zaib looked intently at Zoya trying to interpret her expression. While leaving the Masjid, Zoya had broke into silent tears saying goodbye to her family. It was the first time Zaib had seen her cry and he didn't intend on this being a regular occurrence.

When they sat in the car to go to Zaib's home, he'd tried to comfort her, allowing her to rest her head on his shoulder as he patted her gently. None of them had spoken a word on the ride home as she cried out her sadness and he attempted to console her.

Her make-up, however, had been done using waterproof supplies and she still looked as she did back in the masjid, just a little dishevelled. Zoya occasionally looked up at Zaib in her crying state, his worried expression calming her down. She didn't want to stress him out when it had only been a couple of hours since their Nikkah.

It was only when she saw her father shed a tear that her tears emerged out. Her father was not a man who cried and she rarely saw him breakdown but in this situation, he was passing off his beloved daughter to another man. Her father's eyes were the warmest, overflowing with love and affection as he held her in his arms; her mother's sobs were audible to the farthest of guests as she embraced her daughter; Bilal seemed fine until she stepped towards the car with Zaib.

Bilal grabbed her and hugged her which made Zoya's chest ache with love. Her memories with Bilal were mostly of their fights and stupid arguments but they were all so precious, she never realized how valuable they were.

"I don't have to stand your stupid Netflix shows anymore Zoe. That TV is all mine now," he chuckled, his eyes shining with tears and she simply punched him in the gut as she sobbed into his chest.

The next time she visited her family home, she would be a guest.

She had lost her independent life as a single woman but she had gained the person she loved so much. She had Zaib now and he was all hers.

"I'm okay."

------>~<———

Zoya had been to Zaib's house before but entering as the daughter-in-law of this household was a different story. The white lights of the living room blinded her as she slowly entered with Zaib's hand holding hers.

There was Zaib's family and multiple relatives diffused throughout the rather large living room, all eyes on her. There was a faint murmuring amongst them as they took in Zoya who looked even more gorgeous up close except for Mariah who envied her and stared uncomfortably.

"Sit down dear," Zaib's mother hushed her to take a seat on their most comfortable sofa. Zaib couldn't help but feel taken aback at his mother's kind nature to Zoya for the moment as she was originally against this marriage. He met eyes with his mother in confusion and she caught on, giving him a reassuring look: she was being genuine.

The newlywed couple sat side by side as everyone awed at them, their chemistry together could be felt with them just sitting next to each other. Zaib sensed Zoya's shoulders tense up and he realised how nervous she must be such an overwhelming atmosphere. After all, she was suddenly being faced with so many strangers all at once. He looped his fingers through her fidgeting ones causing her to feel a little flustered. She wasn't used to this contact with him.

They'd known each other for quite a few months but in that time they weren't Mahrams to each other and therefore avoided any physical contact. Now it would become a part of their daily life and it surely would be difficult to get used to. But Zaib's touch was magic as it calmed her down and she was relieved she had him by her side.

"You two are so cute together!" The smiliest aunt with a black scarf exclaimed, being the first one to step forward from their relatives and taking a seat next to Zoya, grasping her other hand between her palms.