51

Zaib/Zoya

After a successful meeting with the new investment company, Zaib had eagerly greeted his supervisors and rushed to his car. He planned on buying raspberry cheesecake and some chocolate truffles for his wife on the way back. Spontaneously, Zoya had promised to return early today and spend time together; he was so excited he could soar to the sky. He bought the deserts from the local bakery and then headed back to their home.

Upon reaching, he ecstatically rushed inside; however, to his dismay, the house appeared to be very much empty. He quizzically walked to the balcony, bathroom, and even the shed but didn't find her anywhere. He frowned, sighing dispiritedly.

He pulled his phone out of his pants pocket and dialled her number. There were no rings; the phone was off. Zaib tensed up, redialing her number; yet again, the same words repeated. That was 'This person is not accepting calls at the moment, try again later.'

A bizarre feeling ignited in his chest; why wasn't Zoya picking up his calls? Maybe she was still working. But her shift was supposed to be over by this time.

After an uneasy fifteen minutes had passed, he tried calling her again. This attempt was also unsuccessful.

---

The home was empty.

Zoya was not there; Zaib had even phoned her work-place to enquire about her- they'd said that she hadn't shown up, which sank Zaib's heart. If she wasn't at home or work, where could she be?

Her family was the next option that popped up in his head, so without hesitation, Zaib called Bilal. "As salamu Alaykum, how come you're calling?" Bilal picked up after a few rings.

"Wa Alaykum As-salam, Bilal, this is urgent. Zoya's phone is off; I've been trying for the past hour. She hasn't been to work- neither is she at home."

"Okay, Zaib, calm down; I'm sure nothing bad has happened. She could be with Naimat possibly; I think she mentioned that she would see Naimat soon when I talked to her last time. You should call at Naimat's," he assured.

"Fine, I'll try that. It is strange, though, because we were supposed to spend the evening together. We haven't been as close recently, you see." Zaib guiltily admitted to his brother-in-law. Not only was Bilal his wife's brother but one of his closest friends of all time, so Zaib unhesitatingly confessed.

There was a mumble of acknowledgement from Bilal before he replied, "It makes sense with Zoya working so hard these days. I wish things didn't have to be this way, honestly. Ever since the financial problems have started, it's been affecting us all; Zoya the most from what I believe."

Zaib went frigid upon hearing Bilal's mumbles. "What financial problems?" His heart's thump started getting faster and faster.

Had Zoya told him about some financial problems? Did he forget something? He mentally strained himself.

"Surely Zoya has informed you about our father's company debt, right? It's been a few months since we discussed it with her." Bilal explained confusedly.

He stiffened. It was like a wave of cold water thrown onto his face; his body started to quiver. Company debt? It was the first time he heard anything related to debt. Was Zoya keeping this massive issue a secret from him?

As much as he wanted to throw the phone out and pull at his hair from disbelief, he wanted to know what else she had been hiding from him.

"Oh yeah. I'm very sorry about that. Is Zoya's new job helping to pay off that debt?" He attempted to sound unaffected, but his voice was hoarsely bitter.