Divination

Divination. It's not the same as fortune telling. Fortune telling is when that old lady in a turban tells you what will happen in your future. Divination shouldn't be confused with Sight, either. Some people are gifted (or cursed) with premonitions or visions of the future, but that's a different thing entirely. Divination is the use of some tool to get information from the spirit realm, to determine what to do next. It can be about the future, but it doesn't have to be. I have no idea where this analogy came from, but I've heard divination compared to walking into a circular room lined with doors. The one directly in front of you is the one you are most likely to go through, but you could go through any of the other doors, including the ones on either side of you (which you are least likely to go through). Divination tells you what is through the door directly in front of you, but you could always go through another door. I also use divination to talk to gods.

Some popular forms of divination:
Cartomancy: Divining with cards such as tarot or oracle cards. It's very easy to get card decks, so I highly recommend you have at least one. (I have so many by now that I lost track, and I just got another one! It's the Gothic Tarot by Joseph Vargo, and I love it!). They also usually come with handy interpretation books, so they're easy to read.
Scrying: The most classic but most boring method of divination ever invented. You stare into a crystal ball, a bowl of inked water, or a mirror, and literally get bored enough to half-fall asleep and daydream. Then you interpret what you see in your mind. Gazing into the object is simply a way of gazing at a blank space so your mind isn't distracted by other images of things you're looking at. If that's the case, looking at a sheet of blank paper would probably work, too, but not nearly as mystical. ...I'm sorry, there's nothing wrong with scrying. If it works for you, great! I'm just not a visual person, so I can't do it.
Palmistry (chiromancy): Palm reading. I haven't seen anyone do this outside of ren faires and other entertainment venues.
Tasseomancy: Tea-leaf reading. Let's hope you don't see the Grim. (This one is probably taken less seriously than any of the other ones, but it's still fun.)
Dowsing: Using a pendulum, dowsing rod, or similar instrument. Great for yes or no questions.
Oneiromancy: Dream interpretation, figuring out what your Shadow (subconscious) is trying to tell you. This one actually exists in psychoanalytic therepy!
Arithmancy: Divination based on numbers and people's names
Rune Casting: Throwing stones/clay blocks inscribed with runes (usually Nordic/Anglo-Saxon) and interoperating those that are face-up. (You could also just pick up a stone and interpret whichever one you got, without throwing them around.
Automatic Writing: My favorite, by far. Also called free-association writing, and this one is used in therepy, too! I sit down with a candle and a pen and just write whatever comes to mind. It's usually amazingly effective for me. I use it to talk to gods, and I get extremely coherent answers to questions.

And guess what? I haven't even covered all the most popular methods, and even then there are many, many more.

If you're going to be a witch, you should learn at least one method of divination. It's plenty easy to get a deck of cards or a set of rune stones. You could also try scrying or automatic writing. Figure out what works for you!