The Major Arcana

The Major Arcana is definitely worth looking into, since cards have their own correspondences. Some people feel particularly connected to specific cards, the way you might feel connected to a particular animal or element. They're a really handy tool for introspection and figuring stuff out about your life when you lose your sense of direction.

Note that this is a simplified list. I recommend getting your own tarot book if you intend to do card readings for yourself. I also recommend finding a deck that you're happy with, that really "speaks" to you; even though I already have two other decks, I talked myself into buying Joseph Vargo's Gothic Tarot and I'm so glad I did.

The Fool: Beginning a journey, standing on the threshold of the unknown, a crossroads, liminal space, endless possibility, a leap of faith, naivete, a seeker of wisdom accompanied by a helpful guide.

The Magician: Personal power, arcane knowledge, access to the spirit world, creativity, self-confidence, command of spiritual or natural forces, manifestation, a trickster. It is within your power to obtain your desires.

The Empress: Feminine power, productivity, fertility, creativity, passion, vibrant energy, abundance, nurturing presence, life-giving first, pleasure and happiness.

The Emperor: Masculine power, authority, leadership, protection, stability, self-control, discipline, prestige, confidence, ambition, logic, a domineering presence, good decision-making, occasional ruthlessness.

The High Priestess: Psychic awareness, intuition, insight, wisdom, mystery, meditation and introspection, occult knowledge, initiation.

The Heirophant/High Priest: Wisdom, tradition, honor, meditation, education, advice, orthodoxy, honoring the status quo, the completion of initiation.

The Lovers: Sexual attraction, true love, romance, sensuality, passion, bliss, devotion and commitment, harmonious union of opposites, duality, a moral choice, self-sacrifice or surrender, emotions, merging of ideas, a creative partnership.

The Chariot: Control, taking the reins of one's own life, taking decisive action, achieving goals, overcoming challenges, triumph or vengeance, accepting personal responsibility, progress, determination.

Strength: Fortitude, courage, indomitable will, conviction, self-control, self-confidence, overcoming adversity, mastery.

The Hermit: Solitude, isolation, contemplation, introspection, detachment, meditation, a retreat.

The Wheel of Fortune: Cycles, dramatic change, destiny, luck, chance, endings and beginnings, high and low points in life, creation and destruction. Be patient and weather the storm, trust in fate.

Justice: Impartiality, righting wrongs, repercussions for one's actions, moral convictions, balance and equilibrium, karmic retribution, equality, fairness, integrity.

The Hanged Man: Self-sacrifice, metamorphoses/dramatic transformation, withdrawal, surrender, self-denial, intense soul-searching, death and rebirth, a period of tribulation that helps you become better.

Death: Transition, the end of one thing and the beginning of another, sudden ending or loss, passing through a metaphorical door.

Temperance: Balance, patience, moderation, unification, alchemical transmutation, union of opposites, equilibrium, harmony, synthesis.

The Devil: Temptation, the Shadow self, self-destructive behavior, fears and weaknesses, unhealthy obsessions, bondage, something (likely self-imposed) is holding you back.

The Tower: Destruction, disaster, devastation, catastrophe, upheaval, grief, a bolt from the blue, chaos and disruption, dismantling, a potential for reconstruction and a new beginning.

The Star: Hope, faith, selflessness, renewal, healing, peace, serenity, benevolence, salvation, promising opportunities, inspiration, a light in the darkness.

The Moon: Dreams, imagination, fantasies, secrets, emotions, heart's desire, intuition, psychic ability, mystery, seduction, wonder, illusions and deception, madness.

The Sun: Success, good fortune, prosperity, confidence, intellect, enlightenment, revelation, vitality, illumination, trust, a lasting union, triumph, optimism, glory.

Judgement: Rebirth, atonement, soul-searching, learning from mistakes, letting go of distress and regret, accepting forgiveness, renewal, redemption. Being held accountable for one's actions, a rite of passage.

The World: Success, maturity, the completion of a quest, the end of a journey. Spiritual fulfillment, realized potential, universal truth, perfection. The convergence of dualities (light and dark, order and chaos, etc.)