"Types" of Witches

I think a lot of people, when they're just starting out, are interested in what "type" of witch they are. But the truth is, there aren't really types of witches, or maybe there are as many types of witches as there are individual witches. Witchcraft is a personal thing, and the following categories are just the ones people commonly list:

Green Witch: Green witchcraft is probably one of the more common types. Green witches are especially in-tune with the natural world. Many of their spells are herbal, often using herbs grown in their own gardens, and they specialize in healing magic. They will probably have an interest in botany in addition to the animistic spirits of plants and trees. Most Green Witches have an interest in faeries, too.

Kitchen Witch: Kitchen witches make magic with what they find in their own kitchens, and the food that they make. It's easy to imbue food with intention while you're making it! Her wooden spoon is her wand, her pot her cauldron, her spices her potion ingredients, and her wine glass her chalice. Often, kitchen witchcraft is a means of making cooking into a religious or spiritual practice.

Celestial Witch: Also called a Star or Cosmic Witch, a witch who takes particular interest in astrology and the way the movements of the planets affect her spellcraft. She'll usually be very connected to the moon (even by witch standards), and she will be interested in the Western Zodiac and seven classical heavenly bodies at the very least. But some Celestial Witches extend their interests to comets, asteroids, star systems, other constellations, and other things in space.

Sea Witch: Sea Witches feel most connected to the ocean and everything it represents, in a literal and spiritual sense. Most live near oceans and incorporate beach-combing into their practice, finding their tools out on the sand. They will carve wands from driftwood and decorate their altars with shells and sea glass. They'll be very involved in pollution reduction and the conservation of marine wildlife. Sea Witches are also very focused on the moon, because of the way it affects the tides. They work with gods associated with the ocean.

Storm Witch: Kind of like a sea witch, but connected to the atmosphere rather than the ocean. Storm Witches will use the wild, erratic energy of thunderstorms to empower their spells, and collect rainwater from storms to use in potions and the like. They will usually have an interest in meteorology and pay close attention to weather patterns (it's important to remember that in the past, the local "cunning folk" were the only ones able to predict the weather). Their favorite divination method is probably aeromancy. (Green witchcraft, Sea Witchcraft, and Storm Witchcraft form a kind of elemental triad.)

Ceremonial Witch: Probably the most truly "occult" style of witchcraft. Ceremonial witches are those whose practices revolve theurgy, goetia, or a mix of the two. Most of their spells involve the invocation and evocation of gods and spirits. This is actually a pretty broad category, extending from Traditional Wicca to old-school "black" magic from Renaissance grimoires. I would consider most of the meticulous rituals of traditional covens to fall under this category.

Hedge Witch: The simplest way to describe this would be a modern interpretation of medieval "cunning folk" — the village healer who practices folk magic and makes herbal remedies. Hedge witches are always solitary practitioners. There's some overlap between Hedge and Green witchcraft, because of Hedge Witchcraft's emphasis on herbal remedies. The phrase "Hedge Witchcraft" is also meant in a more metaphorical sense, referring to the "hedge" separating this world and the Otherworld or spirit world. Hedge Witches attempt to straddle this "hedge" using shamanic practices like trance and astral projection. Hedge Witches therefore work with spirits, and some even practice necromancy.

Eclectic Witch: A mix of any or all of the above. I think most witches are eclectic to some extent, but some really attempt to draw from every available source, whether religious, practical, or cultural.

These are the most common "types" that I've seen, but don't take this as a set list of categories that you have to find a place for yourself in. I certainly don't fit into any of the above categories. I guess I would call myself a "Shadow Witch," since I have a dark aesthetic and Shadow work is such an important part of my practice. But that's the thing — these categories can get ever-more specific. If you use crystals more than any other tool, you can call yourself a "Crystal Witch." If you feel especially connected to the element of fire, you can call yourself a "Fire Witch." You can define yourself based on your particular religion, i.e. "Hellenistic Witch" or "Heathen Witch." If you subscribe to the philosophy of Chaos Magic, you can call yourself a "Chaos Witch." If technology plays a major role in your magical practice, you're a "Tech Witch." If you live in the city, and you work magic in the context of an urban environment, you're an "Urban Witch." This is what I mean by the types of witches are arbitrary. It all comes down to what works for you, specifically, and there's no need to give yourself a precise label unless you want to.

The only thing I'd advise against calling yourself is a "White," "Black," or "Grey Witch." I consider all of these epithets to be a bit pretentious and misguided, becuase magic has no color. People who call themselves "White Witches" are often hardcore RHP-ers who take a "love and light" approach to life, which is not in itself bad, but they have a tendency to take the Wiccan Rede as gospel and balk at the idea of anyone causing *gasp* harm. Self-proclaimed "Black Witches," on the other hand, are the other side of that same coin — edgy LHP-ers who take pride in their hexing skills and think the Rede is for fluffy dweebs. Meanwhile, "Grey Witches" have sort of figured out that magic has no color, but haven't realized that everyone else knows this. Grey Witches pride themselves on being "a balance of both light and dark," which I call "being a normal practitioner of magic." You walk in darkness and in light, use magic for good but curse when necessary? Well, whoop-de-doo, welcome to the club! Here's your badge and your ceremonial cupcake with a Goetic sigil drawn on it in frosting. Personally, I'm a Purple Witch, because purple is my favorite color and everyone knows purple is magical AF.

In summary, be whatever kind of witch you want!