3. The Former

Chapter 3
The Former

-
Soundtrack: 06. The Dragon Book
-

I am not a dragon.

I sat back on my haunches and Hiccup cautiously approached, transfixed with the writing. After a moment, he looked up, confusion in his eyes. "What are you then?" he asked me, standing before me with a complex expression. He seemed partly unsure of me, as though he thought I must be simply confused in the head. I rolled my eyes and nudged him out of the way, yet again clearing the soil.

Human.

He spared only a second to read the message before turning to me.

"Wait... you're a- a Former?" he questioned, frowning slightly. His eyes glazed over for a second and he seemed to look through me, some far distant memory surfacing. I nodded enthusiastically. Luckily, he didn't seem too afraid to learn I was a creature often associated with death and danger. He looked almost... sad. "But... why a night fury?"

I shrugged, as best I could in this body. "What's your name, then?" he asked.

I drew my name into the earth, and awaited his reaction. My heart was beating rapidly, knowing that every moment brought me closer to becoming a human once more.

"___," he murmured, and a disbelieving smile crept onto his face. "That's... unbelievable," he stated, looking wide-eyed at me. "How did it happen?"

I glanced up, straight at the sun, which was now nearing it's zenith.

"The... the sun?" he asked, obviously confused.

I nodded, my blue eyes fixated on him. "Alright then," he shrugged, obviously not understanding how it could have happened. I gave him a toothless smile, my facial muscles straining to replicate the human expression. He laughed.

"So, ___," he began, mounting Toothless.

"Why are you here? What does Berk have that a Former might need?" he asked the question with an air of confidence, but I noted the undercurrent of caution. I stared straight at him, trying to make him understand. When he simply looked back blankly, I huffed loudly and once again resorted to the soil.

You.

"What? Me? What am I supposed to do for you?" he asked, obviously overwhelmed.

I stood on my hind legs and gestured to myself, black scales glinting in the sunlight.

"...Am I supposed to change you back? I don't know how to do that," he told me worriedly, his hand gliding nervously through his brown hair.

I dropped down, my hopes dashed in that moment. He didn't know how. I fell with a thump to the ground, my tail and wingtips drooping into the dirt despairingly.

"I-I'm sorry," he apologised, looking regretful. "I don't know."

"Find the one who saved his home, but also saved the danger," I recited in my head. "Find the one who'll change your bones, and change him from a stranger."

Change him from a stranger . . . befriend him?

"When yet again you've balanced out / the fates of this great Earth, he'll guide your body back into / it's rightful place of birth."

Fate drew us together. Maybe something stronger had to happen for me to change back. I took off, startling Hiccup and Toothless. I had to fly for a while.

. . .

At dusk, I returned to Berk. Hiccup strode up to me immediately. "___!" he greeted sombrely. "Where've you been?" he demanded.

I growled and turned away, annoyed. "Gods, your as bad as Toothless, and as stubborn as Stoick," he scolded, amusement in his voice again. "I don't need another one like my Dad," he joked.

I looked over my shoulder and Hiccup was looking admiringly at me. I huffed and turned back to him, feeling forgiving.

Before I could do anything else, the huge, red-bearded viking appeared again - Hiccup's father, Stoick. They looked nothing alike, I noticed.

"Hiccup!" he bellowed in a deep, loud voice. "What are you doing with the Night Fury?"

"Look, Dad, she's not actually-"

"She should be with Toothless, if you want to bring back their species. I thought it was important to you?" he interrupted.

"It is, or it was, but-" Hiccup started again.

"Well you aren't going about it very well, son," his father scolded.

"Dad, I'm trying to tell you-"

"Hiccup-" Stoick interrupted yet again, but before he could continue, I roared loudly, irritated with the proceedings.

I glared at the viking, and Hiccup took the chance to speak. "She's not a Night Fury, Dad, she's-"

"What do you mean, not a Night Fury? Are you b-"

He was cut of again by my jaws snapping shut. I growled.

"She's... a Former," Hiccup explained. He looked especially anxious at this.

"A Former?!" Stoick exclaimed loudly. A few nearby vikings gasped and moved away, cautious of me now. I shook my head angrily, my pupils narrowing and my teeth showing.

"Dad, she's harmless, I promise! She needs my help!" Hiccup yelled.

"Your help? Hiccup, she'll only hurt you! I want her taken away, now! Men, tie her down!" Stoick ordered.

Vikings jumped to attention, clambering to find nets, ropes and chains. I leapt upward, creating a fierce downwind which slowed my pursuers. I soared over the rooftops, dodging dragons and decorative wooden carvings cresting the buildings.

I flew fast, but not fast enough. A weighed net fell heavily over me, bringing me quickly to the ground. I roared in pain and frustration as I hit the ground with a jolt.

Help, I prayed to no one in particular.

"Take her to the arena - she'll be safe there!" I heard Stoick order.

"No! Stop! She hasn't done anything wrong!" I heard Hiccup protest.

"Silence! Gobber, take Hiccup home, and make sure he stays there!" Stoick called roughly. I heard the sound of a struggle, and looked up to see Hiccup trying to escape the grip of a large, blond-haired man with a hand and a foot missing.

I let out a pitiful roar, and Hiccup's eyes locked with mine. "I'm sorry," he mouthed, before Gobber took him out of my sight. I heard him call my name faintly, and then he was gone.

Rough hands grabbed the net, and I was dragged along, down through a dark passage and into a large open area, with a strange connection of chains preventing me from leaving by flying. Seating ringed the circular area where they had brought me. The men who had taken me there quickly exited after they released my net.

I struggled briefly before escaping the heavy, chain-ridden net and immediately flew upwards, trying to force my way through the chains, but the openings were too small.

What on earth's wrong with Stoick? I knew that vikings generally had a distrust and fear of Formers because of the legends, but he seemed especially affected by it. I thudded back to earth, wailing desperately. I was alone again, and I was sure not even Hiccup could save me now.