Chapter Two- Vera

Silence hovers over the colossal arena. Silent Watchers stand behind me, observing me as I stare at the wooden target up ahead. I release the knife in my hand. It whips through the air, hitting its mark twenty paces away. Picking up another knife, I throw again. Thunk. It sticks hard, landing a hairsbreadth from the first. I wipe my brow on my sleeve. It's barely dawn, and already I'm sweating. The subtle breeze barely gives me relief.

Murrow hands me five more knives and nods firmly. After having spent most of our training together, he knows I've got this.

I take a deep breath. A single mistake will cost me. One after another, I flick each knife. They twirl beautifully, hitting the target dead center. The corner of my mouth tugs upward—perfect.

Cheers and groans erupt behind me. Murrow pats me on the back.

"Brilliant, Vera." He grins, showing the small gap between his two front teeth. He runs to collect the knives, his narrow strip of brown hair catching the breeze.

Behind me, a small group of new Silent Watchers grumble as they hand over their losing bets to my other friends, Karl and Nate. They are both muscular, and I try not to laugh when I see them flexing their arms, trying to intimidate the recruits into giving them more money.

The four of us all started in the same recruiting class many years ago. We were only eight at the time, we knew we would be friends the moment we all chose similar knives to practice with—but our friendship was risky.

King Kgar has never approved of my happiness. I've tried to run my friends off many times, trying to keep them out of harm's way, but they've never budged. Now, years later, I'm glad they never gave up on me. Even if they did use me at times.

Nate decided to use my skills this morning to earn a quick coin. He knew this new group of assassins wouldn't know any better. How were they to know a girl could throw better than any assassin in Graves Hill? It was easy money. He and Karl enjoy sneaking into town to gamble.

A Silent Watcher's life is one of vigilant training. The king's rules are strongly enforced and my friends are lucky not to have been caught. Unlike for them, the king's eyes are constantly on me, one way or another. I've had no choice but to be smart. There are only a few things I've ever managed to get away with, and sneaking into the city of Dryden to gamble is not worth it to me.

The sour-faced Watchers groan as they depart. Nate flicks a coin towards me, and I snatch it out of the air hoping for silver. My face falls when my open hand reveals a copper.

"You know, if you guys plan on dragging me out of bed early, it better be worth more than this."

"It's not about the money," Murrow says. "It's about the glory," He comes back over carrying my knives. Rolling my eyes, I take my knives and tuck them in my belt—along with the worthless coin.

Looking up, I squint to see Nate's face towering high above me. Grinning widely, he reminds me of an oversized child. His blond hair curls up at the nape of his neck, and his cheeks have dimples on both sides. I hear the girls in Dryden find him quite handsome. And even though I can see it, I can never look at him that way. He's family.

"I hope you're not asking for a raise, Vera."

I roll my eyes again, and Nate barks out a laugh. His eyes shift past me, and he stills.

Turning around, I see where Nate is staring. The morning light reflects off the Commander's shiny bald head. His stern gaze hides under the bushiest of eyebrows I've ever seen. He's the king's uncle, and the leader of the king's forces.