Chapter Thirty Two- Vera

Kgar remains frozen in place, a terrified expression on his face. I allow my anger to flood back as Livia rushes to Zyrik's side. My gift sparks at my fingertips. This time there's a fullness to my gift that wasn't there before. It feels stronger.

My lips rise in a snarl. "Well, it seems you've found yourself alone and unguarded, and facing a very angry girl."

The king's expression shifts back into his well-practiced outrage. "You think you have power over me? I own you and your sister. Remember, you signed a contract. If you kill me, your life is forfeit to the Enchanter." He looks past me to Zyrik. "And the other part doesn't matter."

I flick my wrist, cutting off his air supply. I don't want to hear his voice any longer. He grabs at his throat and makes a strangled, choking sound. I smirk as he falls to his knees.

"No one owns me," I say. "Not you, not the Enchanter. No one."

He gurgles out what seems to be an irate response, but I hold his tongue.

"I don't care what you think you need to say. I'm done hearing you speak and I'm done living under your thumb. The memories I have are what others would call nightmares. Your hands will no longer touch me, nor will they anyone else."

I welcome the sound of his hands crackling as I shatter them. Kgar's face scrunches up in pain. If I weren't holding his tongue, he would be screaming at the top of his lungs.

"You will no longer kick me or beat me down like an animal."

He crumples over, his legs fracturing into a thousand pieces. He writhes in pain, and moans like the creaking of a rusty door. Tangled up in his oversized robes, he attempts to crawl away on his elbows. If the councilmen could see him now, crying and crawling like a baby...

I have no love for this man, and torturing him feeds those desires I've had every day, that I've so longed to satisfy—to bring revenge down upon him.

For years this man has made me hate. It's time for me to end it all. I pluck a knife from my belt and walk over to the king, who is trying to squirm away.

"You deserve many years of pain and torture for what you've done to me and to Zyrik. So I hold this knife for Zyrik, to finish what he wants from you: an end to your evil, cunning ways."

King Kgar shakes his head, and his eyes are pleading as I plunge the knife deep into his chest. I watch the light slowly leave his eyes before I bring the knife back out. Kgar slumps onto his side. Just in case the knife hasn't hit the right spot, I snap his neck with a single thought. His body jerks, then stills. Without a question or a doubt, he's dead.

Broken glass crunches under my boots as I run over to Livia. I wipe the bloody knife off on my threads and return it back to my waist.

"How is he, Livia?"

"She can't hear you." The man's name is Kamon. He introduced himself as he was running with me to find Livia. He scoots over and pats the ground next to him. "Come, sit and wait while she works her magic."

I glance over at an injured man sitting on Kamon's other side. Unlike Kamon, he doesn't wear his mask.

"Who's that?"

"Oh, him? No one important. He's here for her." He points to Livia, and then motions me to come and sit. I shake my head, and he shrugs his shoulders. "His pulse was gone by the time she got here. I'm unsure what she's doing, but whatever it is, it's not working," he says.

I kneel down by Zyrik's side. Livia's hands are on his chest and beads of sweat are running down her brow and upper lip. My heart sinks knowing she has been at this for awhile, and nothing has happened.