Chapter Seven- Vera

A brilliant shade of violet looks at me from my reflection. I should be excited. But I'm not.

I'd awakened in a pool of my own sweat, terrified of what I would see. So now, as I look at my reflection, it reminds me of the binding contract, of the noose tight around my neck.

Everyone will know of the change by looking at me. What they won't know, is that a strange hum encompasses my body, forcing it to cooperate. I'm curious to know what gift this might be. So, too, will the king.

I dress quickly, suppressing this new sensation. It won't be long before the king learns my eyes have changed. Until then I'll enjoy what time I have left.

My first stop of the morning takes me to Zyrik. I peek my head inside and see his bed empty. My first instinct is to panic, thinking the king has taken him. But I remain calm and step further inside. Zyrik suddenly jumps out from behind a chair, throwing small pieces of paper in the air. Relief escapes my lungs in a burst.

Zyrik runs towards me and jumps into my arms, squeezing his arms around my neck.

"Hey, you!"

He pulls back to look at me. Fear takes hold of him and he wiggles out from my embrace and retreats to the back of the room.

"It's okay, Little Rik. It's still me. I got different colored eyes for my birthday. Do you like them?" I turn my head side to side.

Zyrik squints, his tongue slightly pushed out. Seconds later, he comes running back.

"Oh, you are getting so big."

He puts his hands on either side of my face and peers into my eyes. He moves my head in small movements, looking from every angle.

"Do you like them?"

Zyrik shrugs his shoulders.

"Yeah, me too." He releases my face. "So, what are you doing today? Anything exciting?"

He points over to his chest of toys.

"That seems like fun."

He nods and smiles. He points to me, then to himself, before motioning over to the chest.

"I wish I could stay and play, I really do. But I'm going to be extra busy today. But, I promise I'll come see you later. You must promise me that you'll stay out of trouble."

His blonde curls bounce as he makes a crisscross over his heart with a finger. Kissing him on the cheek, I let him go.

How I wish I could stay with him, away from what the rest of this day will entail. Unfortunately, I can't hide so easily. Especially from the king and his dumb councilmen.

Already the castle is awake, and busy with the final touches for my birthday celebration. Curious eyes find me, and I duck my head. I just need a little bit longer to enjoy this day without them wagging their tongues.

I pass through the stables and look up to the arena. I sigh. The biggest challenge will be avoiding thousands of assassins. If only I could wear a mask. Wisps of white clouds form neat lines above, dragged by a wind I can't feel.

Halfway up the hill, a shout disturbs my thoughts.

"Vera, wait!"

Nate, Karl, and Murrow are running to catch up. They must've just completed a shift. They are dressed out in their black threads and leather armor, all of them holding their red masks. Then it dawns on me.

Today is also the day for The Silent Trials. Which means not only do I have to avoid thousands of assassins, but also the king and the people of Dryden.