Chapter Seventeen- Vera

"Have you ever been sent on a mission?"

Captain Leech has found me sitting alone in front of a small fire, and decided to join me.

"I have not. Usually the captains and commanders are kept from those missions. It's curious the king sent Bellek out when he did. I have a feeling this war is the beginning of many new things to come."

"He puts too much faith in my gift. I know what he expects of me. I can only hope I'm able to carry it out."

"What you did at The Wall reflects what is yet to come. It was powerful watching it unfold, and it will give the commander of the Violet Guard something to fear."

I pick up a twig and throw it in the flames.

"What do you know about their guard?" I ask.

"I know they have thousands more men than we do. Commander Barrett hasn't been leading them long. He is young, but he is a sharp-witted bastard. I had the chance to meet him once, when he was doing inspections at The Wall. For years we had been trying to infiltrate them, and had succeeded with a good number of men. In just one visit, he rooted out all of our assassins, and put them to death on the spot. He isn't afraid of us, and that is something to watch out for."

"What about the Regent?"

"He's a Northern Prince, fifth in line for the throne. He is known as a great soldier in his land, and it was the reason he was sent to help govern the West. For so many years the North and West have been allied to keep us behind The Wall. But I know the Regent's weakness."

"What's that?"

Leech shakes his head uncomfortably. "I won't say. But his right-hand man keeps him in check well enough for him not to break. That man is a Northern Shadow—an elite guard and advisor in the North. He has saved the Regent's life a time or two. You would never know upon meeting him, but he handles plenty of unpleasantries in the dark."

"How do you know so much about them?"

"Commander Bellek keeps us captains in the know about everything. We study their men in any way we can. No knowledge is lost knowledge."

"So why doesn't the Regent become king? He has governed there for sixteen years now. What stops him from taking the throne?"

Leech presses his lips together, and looks around.

"The one thing the Maker declared in all the kingdoms was that only the descendants of the Guardian's chosen one can rule. This is why the king holds so tightly to you. He must keep you from just walking over there and placing the crown on your head."

Leech clamps his mouth shut, realizing he's said too much.

"Am I the next in line? Is there truly no one else?" I think of the girl in the golden mirror. "Do I have relatives that I don't know about?"

"You sure are a curious commander." Ryker comes from behind us, sitting down next to Leech.

I pin him with a frosty glare. "Mind your business, Captain."

"You are my business, Commander."

"Oh, Ryker, give her a break. She needs to know what we are up against. Would you have her go in blind?" Leech retorts.

"Of course not. But what does the Western throne have to do with leading our men to victory?"

Leech furrows his brow, but doesn't respond. I take his lead, and do my best to ignore Ryker. He can only still be upset about King Kgar's decision to make me Commander instead of him. I refuse to let him get under my skin.

Ryker stands up to leave. "Oh, Commander. A messenger showed up for you. He awaits you in your tent."

When he turns to leave, Leech nervously glances my way.

"You need me to come with you?"

I shake my head. "No, that would only be worse."

Especially if it's who I think it is.

Bruce is standing there with his hands behind his back. Between him and the king, they both have made my life a living hell. With the king protected by the Scree's contract, I am guessing he can afford to let his elite assassin travel many miles away from him.

He meets my defiant glare. I will always hate this man who stole me away from my parents' grasp and brought me to a nightmarish fate.

"I was informed you had a message from the king."

Bruce brings a box out from behind his back, and sets it on a table nearby, then hands me a sealed scroll. I swiftly take it from him and nonchalantly step back. I crack the seal and unfurl the message.

My Vera, I hope this message finds you closer to achieving my victory. I have decided to allow Bruce to travel with you, to handle some unfinished business of mine. He brings with him a reminder from me to you on what will happen if you try to stop him or betray me. The Scree wasn't here to save your love this time around. Enjoy.

King Kgar

My blood runs cold as I glance over to the box. I hesitantly go over, and open the lid. A severed hand is lying inside. I cover my mouth. Even now, Marcus continues to bleed for me. I shake my head, an anger burning inside me. I look to Bruce. I could kill him now, and the king would never know.

I ignite my gift over my body, and bring a single thought to my mind. But nothing happens. I try again. Nothing. Looking down to my hands, I'm confused. I feel the hum over my entire body. Why isn't it working?

Bruce reaches inside the collar of his threads and pulls out a chain hanging around his neck with a bluish red stone hanging down. He sways it in front of me. Whatever it is, it mutes my gift. Seeing that I understand, he places it back underneath his threads, and walks out from my tent.

Shit.

"Holy hell, I'm ruined."

"I still can't believe you continued seeing Marcus." Murrow spits out his disgust. I'd gone in search of my friends shortly after dismissing Bruce. They have always known of Marcus, but never said much about him and me. Nate always gets quiet whenever Marcus is mentioned, and always refuses to give an opinion of him. I made the mistake of asking once, and his sneer was enough for me to not ask again.

"Forget about Marcus. What about the fact that Bruce can deflect my gift?" I ask.

They glance to one another, sharing a look.

"What?"

"Vera, we don't know anything of the magic," Nate answers. "We know only to fear it, though no one will admit it." The others agree. "But I would put nothing past King Kgar to dabble in things that shouldn't be dabbled in."

We spend the next few minutes staring into the fire, before I excuse myself to lie down in my tent. It seems no one can really tell me anything.

I lead my assassins blindly, trusting a king who has abused me my whole life. But if what Leech said is true, about the throne being mine in the West, why haven't my people come to rescue me? What has kept the most powerful kingdom from coming to take me out of the Eastern King's clutches?

I feel suddenly stupid for thinking I could ever live in the West. Why would I even want to live with people who've done nothing to help me? These thousands of assassins have had my back more than anyone else in all the other kingdoms. Screw the king and his mad plans; I will take the West for my men and give them what they deserve. It's the only thing I can control for myself.