22. Holding grudges ~ EMMETT

Two weeks

Two weeks.

That's how long Jamie and I managed to keep our relationship a secret.

It was stupidly easy. As soon as college started again, we simply went back to casually spending time with our friend group, just like before, as if nothing had changed. And while we were with them, we treated each other like friends, who occasionally flirted—platonically, of course. But every time I said something suggestive to Jamie, I could see him imagining things with a knowing smile.

When it came down to it, though... it was hard to actually be together.

It was impossible to find time to be alone. Besides hanging out with Phyllis, Lily, Hector and others, the free hours of our weekdays were filled with studying, eating, sleeping, way too much swimming for me and way, way, way too much TV for Jamie. I'd recently discovered that he'd been watching Korean dramas all this time. He explained that he always referred to them as just 'TV shows' to keep it vague, because some people got weird about his love for Asian culture, which just goes to show that xenophobia, just like homophobia, was still very much present in modern day society. When he showed me pictures of his favorite KPOP groups, though... I completely understood his obsession. They were gorgeous.

The weekend would have been the perfect solution to our problem, if Jamie's dorm wasn't off-limits due to Austin inviting people over to work on a group project and if my dorm wasn't off-limits due to Felix pigging out on his bed 24/7.

Very well... No need to rush into things, right?

Hector and Lily sure were taking their time. Ever since we'd told him to ask her out, they'd been glancing at each other like a pair of dreamy middle schoolers, yet when I asked Hector whether they were actually together, he blushed and spluttered that he was 'working on it'. I had an inkling that he wasn't doing a whole lot to work on it.

Just an inkling, though.

Meanwhile, Jamie and I were fucking each other's brains out on the first date.

I couldn't help but chuckle at my own thoughts and Jamie met my eyes, raising an eyebrow inquisitively, but I waved a hand at him to say I'd tell him later. We were 'studying' with Phyllis and Hector in our free period. Phyllis was in a chatty mood, asking us psychological bullshit questions she'd found on a Buzzfeed quiz or something, Hector said he was finally taking Lily out (though I'd have to see it with my own eyes to believe it), and we had just one more class on this lovely Friday afternoon. You can bet your ass Jamie and I had plans of our own after swimming practice. Finally.

Not one of us was even a little bit focused.

"Em, what would you do if a random guy suddenly offered you ten thousand dollars?"

All of Phyllis's questions were absolutely ludicrous, but I was humoring her nonetheless, because I just couldn't be bothered to do anything today. I hummed thoughtfully, before replying, "I would ask what I have to do in return."