7

"That was close!" Lucy whispered in Astrid's head. Astrid just nodded, and watched from her perch in the tree. Her body hidden from view, but her eyes peaking through the foliage. She watched as a large black wolf ran to the men, and then growled. He seemed agitated, maybe they let a rogue so close? She watched in amazement as he neared the waterfall and his tongue loll out. Maybe he was upset they wouldn't let him past first? She watched as he searched around the area, her heart rate picking up, thinking she left something. Her veins turned to ice, when she saw him shift into a gorgeous man. He was tall, broad shouldered, black as his fur hair, not buzz cut, but not too long. Perfect hair pulling length. "Where  the hell did that come from?!" Astrid growled at Lucy. "Don't blame me! I didn't put that thought there. Men bad!" Lucy scolded, in seriousness. Astrid watched in horror as he came out of the waterfall holding her favorite men's shirt she wears as a dress. He was inhaling it, sniffing it? "You are making us right?!" Astrid asked Lucy hurriedly. "Yes, except to our other half, like we planned." Lucy deadpanned. The man scanned the area, then stopped and started directly at her hiding spot. Astrid and Lucy squirmed under his gaze, they knew he couldn't see them, but it felt like he saw her. He tried to find her scent trail, but the made several false ones coming in, for things like this.  She watched as he left. She wished he would have stayed longer, he walked away with her shirt/dress, with his face buried in it. He is such a handsomely odd man. "What is wrong with us!?" Astrid berated Lucy again. "He could be our other half?" Lucy asked confusedly. Astrid shook her head, and started leaping from tree to tree, like a monkey. "Our other half died. He died in a car wreck, before I knew about you." Astrid was sad. She hadn't lived very long, but had been through so much. Lucy hurt for Astrid, she had experienced so much pain, she shut herself off to anything. She wouldn't even return home to her family, because she was afraid they wouldn't accept her, and deem her crazy, or better yet a fraud. They had watched her family a while. They seemed sad, but still lived their lives. Her family knew she didn't run off, and told the police that much. She loved her dog Arnold too much to leave him home alone that long. Lucy wanted to meet Arnold, Astrid had such a strong connection to him. "Can we go get Arnold?" Lucy asked softly. "No, but we can go see him and play with him, we just need to shrink down to his size." Astrid replied lovingly. Lucy yipped with excitement. They were going home.

"She is alive. She left her shirt at the waterfalls. I have something of hers at least." Sampson replied teary eyed to his mom amd dad's question of what he found. They smiled softly at him. "You'll find her soon son. She is a turned wolf, she is fast or strong as regular wolves, and she can't get too far away from our territory." His mom said softly. He just nodded, and mind linked his patrols to be on the lookout for her, and to under no circumstance approach her or hurt her. He didn't know her name, or what she looked like. He knew she was alive, and had her scent. That's what mattered to him now. He couldn't imagine knowing he almost had her, only to lose her. Thinking your mate died before you met her was one thing, finding out was another. There was hope if you just thought it, but you had to face the empty hole if you found it true.

"Mom, Dad why couldn't the patrols find her scent but I could?" His parents shot each other uneasy looks, then sighed. "Its time to come clean son. You know you have original blood, but there is someone stronger than you out there. The reincarnation of the original. There hasn't been one in my lifetime that I know of. He comes-" his mom cut his dad off "or she!" He chuckled at his mate and kissed her head adoringly. "Yes, or she will be like a king or queen to our kind. They are meant to unite, and protect our people. Rogue, pack, loner, all answer to the reincarnation. The reincarnation is known to be larger than original blood, but can still shrink its size down. They can also mask their scent completely, alter it, or make it appear to lead elsewhere. They also have fighting skills, basically built into them. One command from the reincarnation and all will bow. There has only been one recording of the reincarnation, and he died protecting a pup, before he could unite all. He was able to speak to the moon goddess herself." Sampson's eyes widened when he soaked in this information. "We think "The big bad wolf" is the reincarnation, and your mate is under his protection." His mother spoke up. Sampson furrowed his brow. His mate under the protection of the reincarnation? Andrew was silent. Would the reincarnation order him away, he would be the only one who could. What if he took her for his mate, Sampson and Andrew would die, if that was so. The pack had been so supportive of him finally having a mate, well except a few women, who still don't understand he doesn't want them, and never will.