9 - Party

Abby needed a breather. For the past three hours, she'd been playing games, lightly drinking and behaving like a social butterfly. It was exhausting and quite frankly, she just wanted to get away from it all. Searching for a bathroom to hide away in and finally being successful, she stopped in her tracks when she saw another girl leant against the wall.

Crap. Should I go somewhere else? Stay and talk to her?

The girl looked up at her with somewhat shy, innocent eyes and a small, cute smile.

Stay.

"Hey. You not a fan of parties?" Abby tried to awkwardly begin a conversation.

"No. I hate them. I'm only here because my best friend wanted to come but she practically ditched me at the door." The girl's voice was low, almost like she was afraid of someone overhearing. Abby took the opportunity to lock the door behind them and get closer to her.

"So you've been in here all night?" A little nod of the head was all she got in reply. "I felt like having some space too." The girl looked a little worried then.

"I-I can leave if-"

"No. No!" Abby quickly interrupted her. "It's fine. There's more than enough space for the two of us." She rested her back against the wall, right next to the quiet girl.

She's getting awfully close to me for someone who wants space, the girl thought.

"So what's your name?" Abby finally decided to ask.

"Melissa." She wasn't making eye contact but felt like it was rude not to ask back. "What about you?"

"I'm Abby," she smiled. "You sure you don't want to join in the party games? I think they were about to start Spin The Bottle when I left." Melissa wrinkled her nose and shook her head.

"Ew, definitely not. Then I'd be risking having to kiss a boy." Abby was truly surprised at that answer.

"You're a lesbian?" Melissa nodded.

"Yeah." She fidgeted with her hands and hoped that Abby wasn't homophobic.

"Well that's great!" Abby paused before giving her a pointed look and continuing. "I think I'd rather kiss a girl too. They're much prettier." Melissa's eyes analysed her, heart dancing in her chest.

Me? Could she really wanna kiss me?

Abby kept gazing at Melissa's coral lips, her own parting just slightly. "A lot of people have meaningless kisses at parties. I mean, you haven't joined in and had any yet tonight. So if you're up for it..."

Melissa certainly was. She'd felt an attraction deep inside of her, from the moment she laid eyes on Abby. Trying not to seem too eager, she slowly closed the gap between their faces.

After a soft but intimate kiss, Melissa stopped Abby from pulling away too much. "Please. Stay with me for the rest of the night. We can keep hiding, we can go somewhere else. I just want you to be with me," Melissa whispered urgently. Abby smiled.

"Alright. We'll spend it together, just the two of us."