25 - Rough Day

Christie eyed Eloise across the table. They were sitting in her favourite café. The sun was streaming in through the windows, Eloise's favourite weather, and they had been seated next to one with a lovely view. Yet, Eloise was still frowning and looking miserable. "I'm gonna ask again sweetie. What's wrong?" Christie inquired.

"Nothing. I'm fine." She took an annoyed bite out of her sandwich and glared at her. "Stop asking questions," she continued, after she finished chewing.

"But I can always tell when there's something wrong." Christie sipped a spoonful of tomato soup. They'd opted for a lighter dinner. Eloise didn't have much of an appetite and Christie's had dwindled as she worried about her girlfriend.

"Well not this time. Just accept that I'm okay." Eloise definitely wasn't. Aside from that one mouthful, she'd hardly touched her food.

"Then why aren't you eating? You love it here."

"I did eat." Christie gave her a look and Eloise annoyedly pushed the plate away a little. "I just feel sick."

"Is that what's up? You're ill?" Eloise didn't answer and stared at the ceiling to try and stop the tears. "Honey..." Christie placed a concerned hand on top her girlfriend's. Eloise seriously wished she hadn't. She was in one of those moods where she knew she'd break if someone touched her. Now she felt even more like crying in the middle of a café. Standing up, she walked around the table and buried her head into Christie's shoulder.

"It's all just been too much. I think I'm doing terribly at my job. My boss won't stop picking on every single thing I do. I just feel useless and untalented. Then Mary had a huge argument with me. My best friend is never gonna speak to me again. I just feel like I'll never be enough and I want everything to end." She started sobbing until her throat was sore and Christie's shoulder was damp with her tears. Christie held her girlfriend close.

"You're enough for me. You always will be. If anything, you're too good for me. One rough day or week isn't gonna define the rest of your life. You're so brave and strong and you can get through this." She tangled her fingers in her hair and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Thank you...is everyone looking at me?"

"No. Of course not." It was a white lie. They had attracted quite a bit of attention but most people were politely averting their eyes now. "And tonight and tomorrow will be better than today. I'll make sure of it."