21 - Storm

The thunder crashed loudly again and Hazel burrowed deeper into the bed. Although it was getting late, she had no desire to try and get to sleep with this commotion outside. Laney had just finished getting ready for bed and walked in with a smile. She still looked absolutely beautiful - her silk nightdress clung to her form and blonde hair tumbled neatly past her shoulders. Hazel opened her mouth to compliment her when lightning flashed across the sky and she flinched instead. Laney frowned.

"Come on. Lets close the curtains." She walked over and drew them across, climbing under the covers with Hazel. "You ok?"

"I'm fine," her girlfriend responded stubbornly.

"Lets get to sleep then. You must be exhausted." Laney lightly kissed her forehead.

"But I'm not tired. Well I am. But there's no point falling asleep just to get disturbed in ten minutes." She raised a hand to rub her eyes but Laney took it in her own and pressed another gentle kiss to her skin.

"It'll be alright. Try to focus on the sound of the rain instead. I think it sounds quite peaceful."

"I don't," Hazel grumbled

"I'll be here. I know you're a bit afraid of the storm, whether you want to admit it or not, and I promise to stay here all night and comfort you." Hazel shot her a glare but Laney ignored it and pulled her closer for a cuddle. "Shhhh." She reached round to the back of her head and began to play with her hair. Her fingers ran through every lock, sending soft tingles all down Hazel's spine and her eyes involuntarily closed.

Laney started to hum, a sweet soothing sound, as she moved to tracing circles on Hazel's temples with her thumbs. Hazel clung a little tighter to her before her muscles relaxed as she gave in to sleep. Laney smiled and decided to stay up a little longer and watch over her.