28 - Daydream

They were snuggled up on the sofa together. Their hands were in each others hair, April's peach coloured lips were pressed against Mila's and it was a moment of true love and delight at finally being together.

Then Mila woke up.

Now she was sitting on April's bed, watching as her best friend frowned as she tried to choose a new series that they should binge together. "Maybe we should go for something a bit more light-hearted this time. Our last show was pretty intense." Mila remained silent. April's brow creased more as she noticed her silence.

"What? Would you rather watch another drama? I'm up for that too."

"I don't mind." Mila stared at her shoes and fidgeted, picking at her clothing a little. She had barely been able to make eye contact with April since she arrived. She felt so ashamed of having that dream, even if it was out of her control. Maybe it was because, deep down, she wished it had been real.

"Mila what's your problem? Have I done something wrong? You won't even look at me." April sounded so hurt. It broke Mila's heart.

"No. It's not you. I don't feel well, that's all." April got up from her chair and joined Mila on the bed. She wrapped an arm round her and hugged her to her side.

"What is it? Do you feel sick? Are you coming down with the flu?" She reached up one hand to Mila's forehead, who moved away.

"My stomach hurts." It wasn't a lie. It also wasn't because she was ill but because it was cramping with nerves.

"Do you want to stay and I can make you some soup? Or maybe find you some medicine? I'm not bothered about the germs," she giggled. Mila forced a small, quiet laugh. "Or is there something else?" she pressed.

"It's...not something you can catch," Mila admitted. She was still full of nerves but April's personality always left her feeling more comfortable. "It's just anxiety."

"Is it school?"

"No. I had an...inappropriate dream about you." April's eyes widened.

"A wh-"

"Not like that! Not as bad as you're thinking. But still...bad." She held her head in her hands. April didn't move away from her though.

"You can't control what you dream about girl. So what happened?"

"We were..kissing. Look. Maybe we should research it or something, dreams are never straightforward and always have weird meanings behind them." April ignored her and continued.

"So why was it so bad? Was I a terrible kisser?" Mila looked at her confused.

"I...aren't you creeped out by me? Haven't I ruined our friendship?"

"Of course not. And if you hated it, we can move on and forget all about it," April promised. Mila's cheeks were flushing by the time she spoke again.

"And if I didn't?"

"Then I wouldn't mind recreating it for real this time."