18 - Family

Trigger Warning: Homophobia

Erica's family dinner was going wonderfully. Kayley, who had been invited over as a guest, was making a wonderful impression on her parents. She'd bonded with Erica's dad over some television shows they both liked and sports teams they both supported. Her mum was also very pleased with how much Kayley was enjoying her homemade pasta. Everything was perfect. Except for one detail.

Erica had introduced Kayley to them as her best friend, which wasn't exactly the whole truth. She'd secretly been dating her for a few months now. Kayley was out and her own parents were supportive of the relationship but Erica was yet to tell her parents that she was a lesbian, let alone the fact that she had already found a girlfriend. She'd always sought hard for her family's approval and this was no exception. Her hand shaking, she put down her fork and brought her eyes up to look at them.

"Mum? Dad? Can we all stop eating for a minute, I need to tell you something. It's important." Her parents obliged and set down their cutlery, along with Kayley. She knew what was coming and gave Erica a reassuring look across the table. Erica gave her a small smile and took a few nervous minutes to compose herself. "Sorry I...this is really hard to do."

"Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be fine," her mum said, a little impatiently. "Hurry up so we can get back to eating." Erica silently wished she would take this more seriously. Kayley also had to bite her lip and stop herself from saying something - she knew she had to let her girlfriend have this moment.

"Right. Sorry." Erica let out a breath and her words began to follow. "I need to start by saying that this isn't anything new. I've known for years and I'm not going to be able to change."

"It can't be that bad. Come on, out with it," her dad insisted. Erica hated being rushed but finally said.

"Kayley isn't just my best friend...she's also my girlfriend. I'm a lesbian," she admitted. Her parents paused and processed it for a moment before looks of disgust clouded their features.

"Erica. This can't be true! It goes against everything we believe in," her mother snapped.

"I know and I'm sorry. I can't help it." She began to well up.

"I thought you wanted a family!"

"We can still have children when we're older."

"Not properly you can't!" her father argued. Erica was struggling to contain the tears that burned in the corner of her eyes. Kayley came to her rescue and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Nothing has changed! She's still your daughter and the same girl she's always been."

"Our daughter was never raised like this. She would never have betrayed her family," Erica's dad retorted. Kayley could see they were getting nowhere and Erica was clearly too choked up to speak.

"You're both horrible people!" Kayley shocked herself by saying. She would never have offended her girlfriend's parents but she hated how they were treating Erica. "It's 2019. Stop using your outdated opinions against your daughter!" She hurried her girlfriend out of the house and ignored their yelling after them.

They reached a street corner and Erica sat on the edge of a wall, drying her eyes. "I'm sorry honey." Kayley lightly caressed her cheek.

"Don't apologise. It's not your fault," she murmured, nestling against her touch. "I just don't know how I'll ever be able to face them again."

"You don't have to worry about that for now. You can stay at mine tonight," Kayley decided. "You can borrow some things of mine and we'll buy anything extra that you need. I'm not letting you set foot in that house again tonight."