𝕀𝕍

The ambulance arrived in almost no time, and Jake volonteered to get in and ride with Ellie. As soon as they started to move, the paramedic decided it was best to clean the wound on the way, so once they'd arrive at the hospital, the procedure of stitching her up would be much faster. Ellie found it odd. She didn't know ambulances could do such things, cleaning wounds and so, but she decided it was best to do it now, when she still had adrenaline pulsing through her veins. They didn't know, however, that Jake was so squirmish at the sight of blood.

"Oh, no," he mumbled, looking away when they started to cut her t-shirt. Ellie took his hand and squeezed it.

"That's alright, just look away, Jakey," she said, nodding at the medic to continue.

"I'm going to give you an anesthetic, because soon enough, you wont be able to go on adrenaline alone," the man said, taking a syringe and almost stabbing her with it. They managed to keep their strategy for a couple more moments, until the man had to touch the bullet hole, making Ellie groan and squeeze Jake's hand a little too tightly. Ellie wanted to tell him to turn around, because something wasn't right, but for some reason, she couldn't. Only then she realised that her body was a little more relaxed than it should be. She felt her body go limp as her world went dark. Only then, when she loosened her grip on Jake's hand, he realised something was wrong.

Jake immediatly looked over at her, seeing that the woman of her dreams was now unconscious, and the paramedic was standing up, facing the other way.

"Hey, what's going on?" He asked, his hand immediately going to his belt, only to remember that he had dropped his gun in the warehouse when he ran to Ellie. He cursed himself for being such a hopeless romantic. "Sir, what did you do?" He asked again, standing up but never leting go of Ellie's hand.

"You know, I thought this would be much harder," the man said in a much darker tone than before. "Seeing as you two are cops, I mean." Jake felt a shiver go through his spine as he tightened his grip on her hand.

"Ellie," he tried to call her, placing his other hand on her cheek. "Ellie, wake up, please," he begged the unconscious body of his girlfriend. Well, ex-girlfriend. It was complicated. He then realised that her wound was bleeding way too much, a lot more than it was back at the warehouse. "What have you done?" He asked the man, anger flooding his voice and tone.

"I did give her an anesthetic, but also an anticoagulant, meaning that that wound wil not stop bleeding until I decide to make it stop."

All Jake wanted to do right now was punch that guy in the face, but the blood pooring out of Ellie at an alarming rate was more important. He completely ignored his phobia and went to apply pressure to the wound with his two hands. He couldn't lose Ellie now, not after waiting for her for 9 years.

Suddenly, Jake's phone rang. The man turned around and pointed a fully loaded gun at Ellie. "If you take that, I'll shoot her," he said, noticing how overprotective of her he was.

"If I don't take that, whoever this is will get suspicious, I always answer my phone," Jake lied. He never answered his phone. The man clicked the safety of the gun, still pointing at her.

"Do it quickly. If you say anything about this, I will kill her."

"I believe you," Jake told the man. He slowly wiped his bloody hand on some cloths that were laying around, still applying pressure with his other hand. He reached into his pocket and didn't let the man see who was calling him. "It's my dad, we had a dinner planned tonight, I'll tell him I might be late, is that alright?" The man didn't even answer, but nodded slightly. He answered the phone and brought it to his ear.