𝕍𝕀

The squad waited impatiently in the waiting room. Ellie had been taken into the OR, they were trying to take out the bullet fragments of her lower side, and countering the anticoagulant that the man had injected in her. The medics from the actual ambulance told them that she was in a critical state, and that they didn't know when she would wake up after all of that. Which is why none of them had left the hospital for the last three hours, even if everyone had tried to make Jake go home and clean up, seeing that he was covered in blood, Ellie's blood.

"I thought you had a fear of blood," Amy told Jake, sitting beside him. Honnestly, so did Jake. But seeing the love of his life bleeding to death surely changes a man. Did he just admit that Ellie was the love of his life? Amy looked down and his bloody hands and saw they were shaking. She gently placed a hand on his arm and held it tightly, showing him her support. Rosa soon sad down on his other side.

"Jake, she'll be alright," she said, trying to reassure him. "You know Ellie, she's tougher than anyone here. If someone can make through this, she can." Jake looked at her, trying to smile, but it came out as a quick grimmace. Terry suddenly walked in front of Jake.

"Hey, man," he started off. "You should head home. Clean yourself up, try and get some sleep. We'll all stay here, we'll wait here for you." Jake immediately shook his head. He couldn't even imagine sleeping at a time like this. He could never head home and leave Ellie alone in an operation room. What if she woke up and found out that he was at home, in bed, sleeping. What if, god forbid, something happened to her while he was gone. Maybe he could have done something if he were there, he would blame himself for leaving her alone.

"Terry is right, Jake," Holt's voice spoke. Somehow, it seemed... softer? "If you want to rest, not even go home, but just close your eyes. We will be here. We can wake you up if there are any news." Jake shook his head again.

"I'm fine, thanks guys," he said quietly. "But I wouldn't even be able to sleep, right now." The two men nodded and then headed back to the places they were previously sitting in. A few moments later, Jake spoke up again. "Can you two do something for me?" He asked the two latinas quietly, his voice hoarse from trying not to cry for so long.

"Anything," Amy immediately said as Rosa quickly nodded.

"Will you two... pray with me?" He asked almost as a whisper. It was if he didn't want the others to hear him asking such a thing.

"I thought you weren't a catholic," Amy frowned. Jake took a deep breath.

"I'm not, but Ellie is." He didn't have to say more. The two girls each grabbed one of Jake's hands, despite the blood and the stench, and they held them tightly. With only a glance, they agreed Amy should lead the prayer. And so, in the silence of an OR waiting room, all that could be heard were Amy's silent mumbles, her words reaching to the God she believed in, the God Ellie believed in.