Chapter 27. The Truce

Ariana's POV

"Alpha Anthony is here, your highness," the voice of the maid came through from the other side of the door.

My entire being went stiff. The moment I dreaded the most is here. How I wish this time never came.

I felt Daniel stiffen beside me as well before a frown settled between his brows.

The maid must have probably left after she informed about the Alpha's presence as no voice could be heard after that.

I expected Daniel to get up and freshen up so that he could go meet the Alpha but instead he pulled me closer in his embrace snuggling his face in the crook of my neck.

He's acting a little...strange maybe? Though his actions are making me feel giddy.

"Aren't you going to meet the Alpha? He must be here for the acceptance of the truce- Daniel! What are you..." My last words came out as a squeak when I felt Daniel's teeth nip, suck and lick the soft-spot on the crook of my neck before placing a soft kiss over there.

My eyes were wide by the time Daniel moved back now staring at me. He had that same heartwrenching grin on his lips as he twirled a lock of my hair around his finger--a thing I noticed about Daniel he often enjoys to do with my hair.

"Yes, Princess, what were you saying?" He dared act innocent as if he didn't just assault my poor neck!

And what's with the endearments? Although, I wouldn't say I didn't like it... Whenever he calls me princess, It kind of makes me feel pampered and...loved.

I know I'm misinterpreting most of the things but I can't help but think maybe Daniel does feel something for me as well...and if it's true then it's not good at all since I'm about to leave him and I don't want him harbouring feelings for me only to be left alone in the end....

"What are you thinking about?" Daniel asked cutting of my reverie.

"Nothing! You should let me go, I need to freshen up. I think even you have few things to look through--like meeting a certain Alpha--so could you take your hands off me?" I said with a stern face while he had the same devil-may-care expression on his face as he continued doing crazy things such as trailing his index finger down my face, rubbing my bottom lip gently with his thumb and all the while smiling as if he were observing a rare treasure.

I won't say that his actions didn't make my breath hitch and my heart beat wilder in my chest but I had to refrain myself from feeling this way because soon enough, all these moments between Daniel and me will just remain as a bitter-sweet memory--one that would always remain imprinted in my heart.

"Are you okay now?" Daniel's voice was laced with concern which made me wonder.

Huh? Was something wrong with me?

Although my mind is always not in the right state when Daniel's close to me...

Daniel rolled his eyes when I gave him a confused look. "You were having a fever, remember?"

"Ah! The fever!" I exclaimed as if the lights suddenly appeared in my head, "I'm fine. I'm fine. You don't have to worry about that. Don't have to worry at all... "

I heard him chuckle which made me look at his handsome face with a questioning look in my eyes, "Why are you laughing?"

Daniel chuckled a little more before finally looking at me as his hand tucked a messy strand of my hair behind my ear, "It's just that my wife is too cute when she's flustered and when she's repeating the same sentence, twice."

My little heart fluttered in my chest when he said 'my wife' and called me 'cute' but when his other words registered in my head, I felt my cheeks heating up.