Chapter 3: Another Peter Parker?

"Our hero, Spider-Man, is gone. My husband, Peter Parker, was an ordinary person. He always said it could've been anyone behind the mask. He was just the kid who happened to get bit." MJ said to the large crowd of people that were gathered around city hall. I was standing next to May as MJ took to the podium, giving a speech about Pete. I looked out to the crowd and saw hundreds of people wearing Spider-Man masks and I couldn't help but feel proud for Peter. 

All these people cared about him, and loved him. They didn't care that some people were against Peter being a vigilante, they just felt safe when he was around. But now that he's gone, who's gonna protect them? Protect us?

"He didn't ask for his powers, but he chose to be Spider-Man. My favorite thing about Peter is that he made us each feel powerful. We all have powers of one kind or another. Of the dark...But in our own way. We are all Spider-Man. And we're all counting on you." MJ said to the crowd and I wipe some oncoming tears with the back of my hand as she walks away from the podium and they began to wrap up the eulogy.

That night, I was sitting in my room, doing nothing but wallow in misery, when I looked over at my side table and stared at a photo. It was of me, MJ and Peter and it was taken after they adopted me. I was standing there, all smiles, holding up the certificate of adoption, meanwhile Peter and MJ were standing behind me, smiling as well.

I give a sad smile at this then I get up, grab my suit and put it on. I put my jacket over my suit, the mask in the pocket, and I start to walk out of the house. "I'm going for a walk, MJ." I called out to her. "Are you sure?" She asked me and I could tell she was alittle upset. "Yeah. I just....I just need to be alone." I said. "Okay. Call or text me and let me know where you are." She said and I nod as I walk out, shut the door, put the mask on and swing my way over to the cemetery.

I land in the snowy grounds of the cemetery and walk over to Pete's tombstone, which was surrounded by flowers, when I noticed someone was standing in front of the tomb. "I'm sorry, Mr. Parker. That thing you gave me, that key...I think I really messed it up." The voice said and I walk up to him. "Miles?" I said as I take my mask off. He turns to me then frowns. "What's wrong?" I asked him as I get closer to him.

He sighs then holds his hand out to me. I look down and see that the key, Peter gave him, was broken. I gasped then look up at him. "I'm so sorry, (y/n)." He said and I close my eyes and look down. "I wanna do what he asked. I really do. But I'm not sure I'm the guy. I can't do this without him." He said as I look over at Pete's grave for a moment then let out a heavy sigh before I look back at Miles, with determination. "Don't worry, Miles. You and I will figure this out. Together." I said as I take his hand in mine and hold it. He and I look at each other for a few moments then he gives me a weak smile. I smiled back at him until I heard footsteps behind me and Miles gasps then puts his mask back on.

"Hey, kids." A voice said just as I felt someone grab my shoulder. Miles grabs the hand on my shoulder and I turn my head, just in time to see that Miles just electrocute a guy. The guy gets thrown back just as I felt something attach to my arm. "Whoa!" I shout as I grabbed Miles' arm and we were yanked across a few feet in the cemetery and land in the snow. "What did I do to him?!" Miles asked as we get up. "I don't know. I've never seen that before" I said.

Then I look at my arm and saw a web was attached to me. I looked over and see the web was attached to the man, who was wearing a jacket and sweatpants. I also noticed that he had web shooters on his left wrist. "No." Miles whispered and I look over at him. "What? What is it?" I asked him. "He's...he's like me." Miles whispers as he walks up to the man. "What?" I asked as I walk up next to him. Miles kneels down and pulls back the jacket, revealing a Spider-Man suit. "Who are you?" Miles asked as I look at the man and gasped. "Miles....he looks like Peter." I said and both of us stare at him in shock.