fifteen

Chapter Fifteen
"Promise."

Ada's house was an absolute dream, and Arabella was very much in love with it. Though, for someone with such communist views, it didn't exactly seem the most fitting place to live. Arabella decided not to comment on it, instead remaining in awe.

"I brought Michael and Arabella because, as chief accountants, they have to be witnesses," Polly explained to Ada as the four of them took a seat around the table.

"Ada, can I can I use your phone?" Michael questioned. Arabella looked over at him, having noticed he'd been very distracted all day, always checking his watch or sparing glances at the door.

"Michael, business first," Polly dismissed, placing a number of files down in the middle of the table.

Arabella placed her elbow on the table, her chin resting in her hands. There really wasn't much point in both her and Michael being there, especially Michael, who knew barely anything about what was being signed – come to think of it, that's probably why Polly insisted Arabella be there too.

"Michael, stop looking at your watch. Arabella, sit up straight," Polly snapped at the two of them. Arabella shared a look of distaste with Michael from across the table, straightening up in her chair.

"Ada, whilst you're reading this, can I go and use your phone?" Michael eventually asked again, his obsession with the phone making Arabella roll her eyes. It was like being in the bloody office with him again.

"Who's the lucky girl, Michael?" Ada asked him, a playful smirk teasing at her lips. Again, Arabella stifled a groan. She could have been spending the day with Nick instead of listening to Michael grovel about his girlfriend and waiting for Polly and Ada to read documents.

"Her name is Charlotte, and Michael cannot breathe if he does not talk to her every two hours," Polly responded with a sarcastic smile as Arabella stifled a laugh, sharing an amused glance with Ada

"Ada, please–"

"Phone's in the hall," Ada finally gave in to Michael's pleads. "Dial nought for the line."

"Thank you." Michael pushed his chair back, immediately heading out of the room.

"And keep it quick, I pay the bill!" She called after him.

"I will."

Arabella exhaled heavily, beginning to light up a cigarette whilst Polly and Ada continued to discuss business. She decided that, once they were done, and Michael was off the phone, she might give Nick a call since she missed him. Arabella had spent the last few days with him, taking him to her favourite spots in Birmingham, discussing perhaps moving back to America permanently. She was finding that her work life, and life in general, was becoming boring when he wasn't around.

"Think about it Pol, with two of us in the company, we can straighten things out," Ada told her Aunt.

"What about the politics?"

"You and me fighting together and winning, that is politics," Ada argued. "That's a new kind of politics. It's just this way, I get paid and Karl gets a nice Christmas."

"Good," Polly responded. "Welcome to the Bourgeoisie." Arabella exchanged a small smile with Ada as Polly slid a piece of paper over to her. Arabella took another drag of her cigarette, watching as Ada's eyes scanned down the paper. She picked up a pen, glancing between Polly and Arabella for a moment before signing. Polly smiled. "Welcome to Shelby Company Limited."

"Shelby Company Limited," Ada repeated, passing the paper over to Arabella so she could write her signature too. "Limited and unarmed."

Arabella placed the pen back down on the table, her attention turning to the door as it clicked open. "Michael," Polly addressed. "Would you like to welcome Ada, our new Head of Property and Acquisitions."