twenty nine

Chapter Twenty Nine
"This company needs me."

Arabella had been forced to attend the emergency family meeting by Arthur, who was not taking no for an answer.

As much as she tried to put up a fuss, reminding him that she wasn't actually family, Arthur was still set on her being there, knowing that she could be in just as much danger as the rest of them. So, eventually, she gave in, standing in the very corner of the room, mostly out the way of everyone until Isaiah arrived. He headed straight towards her, wrapping Arabella into a tight hug without a word. She rested her head against his shoulder, holding back tears she'd thought she'd buried, whilst Isaiah whispered his condolences.

Tommy strode into the room, fashionably late as usual, stopping at the head of the table. His eyes drifted around the room, taking in each member of his family, all dressed in black in mourning. "John is dead," he stated bluntly. "Esme has gone on the road with the Lees. She's taken the kids. Michael is badly wounded. They say it's 60-40 in his favour."

"There's no number, there's no percentages," Polly interjected. "There's only the hand. The hand beneath him stops him falling. I spoke to someone. My son'll live."

Arabella stiffened at the mention of Michael, who had become the primary occupant of her thoughts since she'd left the hospital. Isaiah placed a hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently.

"Michael and John were shot because we killed someone," Tommy informed the room. "Vicente Changretta. His son, Luca, has come to take revenge. Men from New York and Sicily here in Birmingham. These men will not leave our city until our whole family is dead. That's how it works - an eye for an eye. It's called vendetta."

Arabella swallowed thickly. She'd had more than enough experience with vendettas at this point, losing two of the people she loved the most to them now – Mason and John.

"Yeah, well, the bullet's been written," Arthur began. "It says Luca. When the time comes, and it will come, he– as the oldest brother, I will put this bullet into his fucking head."

Arthur placed the bullet down onto the table with a heavy thud, right in front of Arabella. Her jaw tightened as she began to think about Luca Changretta, about the pain he'd managed to cause. The day that Arthur put a bullet in his head, would be the day Arabella could finally rest. But until then, she would stop at nothing to make sure he got what he deserved, no matter what.

"There's been some bad blood between us," Tommy began again, being interrupted by Polly's half hearted laughter.

Arthur closed his eyes in exasperation. "Polly, please."

"Until this business is settled, we stay together," Tommy decided, much to Arabella's dismay. It appeared as if she wasn't going to be able to avoid him anymore. "And we stay here. Small Heath, Bordesley, Hay Mills, down to Greet. We know every face and every man is a soldier in this army. These men are professionals, they're good at what they do, so we're going to need more than we have. I've sent a message to Aberama Gold."

"No!" Johnny Dogs exclaimed suddenly. "No, Tom. I'll get you 50 Lee boys. Good men, Tom."

"I don't need good men, Johnny," Tommy responded. "For this, I need bad men."

"Tommy, his people are fuckin' savages," Johnny argued. "You know? Heathens, Tom. They don't even let them in the fair, so they come and steal our horses. You know, stealing from their own, Tom."

"So this the plan, Thomas?" Polly asked, her tone harsh as she spoke his name. "This is the plan? A bullet with a name on it, help from a bunch of savages?"