Chapter Eight - James

Spencer is standing at the door. My heart is still pounding from when Guy and I were dancing just moments earlier.

"Sorry... I should have knocked," says Spencer, realising what he walked into.

"It's okay," says Guy.

I can't tell if he's lying or not. Does he really not mind? I thought we were about to... did I just imagine it?

"Dinner is ready," says Spencer, before disappearing down the stairs.

Guy and I stand there silently and thoughts begin to spin around my head. We were about to kiss, weren't we? It would make sense. That look Tessa gave him, the wink from Amelia, him looking after me and acting weird. He even asked me to dance, he knew we'd get close. He leaned in as well, it wasn't just me.

Maybe I'm looking too much into this. Maybe it was nothing. I hope it wasn't. Maybe Guy finally feels the same way I do about him. 

"Are you okay?" he asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Uh y-yeah" I stutter.

"Come on, let's go get some dinner."

-----------------------------------

The three of us sit around the dining table eating cannelloni. I've never had any this good, Spencer is an amazing cook. The dinner has been awkward so far. I'm not sure any of us know what to say.

Suddenly Spencer's phone rings. He answers immediately.

He doesn't get up from the table, so Guy and I can hear parts of his conversation, "Hey... Oh... That's terrible... Tonight?... How long should it take?... Okay, I'm on my way."

Spencer hangs up the phone and turns to us, "There was an emergency at Emmett's house, I'm going to go and help him sort it out, I might not be back until midday tomorrow."

I'm curious about what the emergency is and I can tell that Guy is too but neither of us bother to ask.

Spencer works with Emmett. According to Guy Spencer spends just as much time at Emmett's place as he does here and at the office. 

I feel like Guy wishes that he could see Spencer more often, not that he'd admit it. He likes to pretend that things don't bother him, especially the things that bother him the most. I never understood that. I suppose everyone has their own way of coping with things.

"All good, we'll look after the house," says Guy.

"Not throwing any big parties?" asks Spencer, half-jokingly.

I feel like that is the kind of thing that Guy would do if it wasn't for the fact that he respects Spencer so much. He'd never want to disappoint his brother.

Guy plays along, "I make no promises."

"Do whatever you want as long as you clean it up."

"Yes sir."

Spencer shakes his head and walks over to the doorway. He picks up his keys and phone from a small table beside the door and heads off without another word.

Guy turns to me, "So... who are we inviting to our party?" he asks, continuing the joke.

I would play along, but I'm tired and want to get my mind off of everything while I'm still awake.

"You, me and a movie."

"Oh... that's actually a good idea."

"I agree, it is."

Guy chuckles, "What do you want to watch?"

I don't answer but Guy already knows what I'm thinking.