XII - I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU. DO YOU REMEMBER ME TOO?

"One of us will end up hurt at the end of this. I promise you." The garbled words inadvertently escaped my lips. My mind stirring with thoughts, slurred, as my fingers infirmly wrapped themselves around the now empty bottle of red. Unlike the bottle, my words weren't void in any sense. You and I both knew, we'd devastate each other. Promises have always possessed the potential to repair, and to wreck. This promise was set out to annihilate the both of us. Somewhere, somehow, I knew, I'd be the reason for our collective downfall. I would never rouse for it to come into being, but it would. Unintentional, unintended. Every morning, when you bestirred yourself lying next to me, your skin would entail yet another bruise from the night before. These bruises weren't liable of healing, for they weren't just bruises, they were jagged scars. They lasted, endured, the imprint of them on your skin, a remainder for the rest of eternity. I witnessed you break down, at the touch of our fingers. The bricks that incarcerated you, kept you together, weren't inviolable enough to keep the skeletons in your closets from toppling out. The bones, they rattled in the tranquility night had to offer. Pushing against your skin, plunging through the tissues, in an endeavour to cast around for liberation. So, I said my goodbye, before the desecration was amplified. But like a fool, I did the sole thing I was the most petrified of pulling off. Causing you to suffer in agony, additional to what you already had. You beseeched me not to leave. To allow you to have me, one final time. One last night. My mind was dominated by the notion that I'll be reprieving you of the torment, and suffering, but I did not know. I wasn't cognisant of the fact, that my absence of existence would have such a consequential effect on your being. That it'd cause more anguish than the words we hurled at each, in the tenebrosity of the night. Words much like like promises; left us in ruins, left us with marks. The scars weren't only located on our skin, but also in the depths of our heart. But you know what? Ask me if I'd do it a second time. Ask me, if I'd leave everything I've ever known behind. Your truth, my lies, your sanity, and you; the reason for my insanity. Go ahead and question me, like you did at every possible instance. Because you know what? I would. Over, and over until my utmost breath. In hopes, that one day you'll fathom, it was only because I loved you, that I had to let go of you.

— I STEPPED ON YOUR HEART, NOT TO STOP IT FROM BEATING, BUT TO CEASE IT FROM BLEEDING.