39

Luke.

It was around eight in the morning, Aaliyah was sleeping in my arms, Ashton had left to get ready for work, Cal and Michael still sleeping.

I played with the ends of her hair, looking to the screen with her vitals on it.

Soon Calum and Michael woke up and left to get ready for work, but I didn't move, I'd probably call in- my boss for sure knew where I was.

Soon Ashton entered, a stressed appearance on his face.

"Tracey needs a blood transfusion-" "she's been through enough, we have other blood" I spoke firmly.

"Her parents are going to-" "be forceful." I spoke, making him firmly nod, taking a deep breath before leaving.

Within minutes he entered again with a blood kit.

"Dude" I spoke, feeling Aaliyah shift lightly, telling me I woke her up, making me slowly cover her more.

"Her parents refuse- my hands are tied-" "you can refuse." I spoke.

"And let my other patient die?" He shot to me, making me groan lightly.

"What's wrong?" Aaliyah's groggy voice spoke, her eyes barely opening as she brought her arms around my body.

"Aaliyah- I need blood sweetheart" he spoke slowly.

"No, please just give me a break Ash" she immediately begged, desperation on her voice.

I just looked to Ashton, who ran his hand through his hair.

"It's your parents, Aaliyah" he spoke, seeming more stressed than ever.

"Please just ask them for a break" she begged.

"Okay sweetheart, relax, I don't want your blood pressure high" Ashton spoke, leaving the room shortly after.

"I don't want it, Luke" she spoke, tears threatening to spill over.

"It's okay, Aaliyah" I spoke- that's all I could say.

I gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead.

Ash soon rushed in, the blood kit still in his hand

"I'm sorry Aaliyah-" "Aaliyah" her mom spoke, almost running into the room.

"Mom please" her tears immediately started hitting her cheeks.

I couldn't think of anything we could legally do in this situation.

We had to do what the parents said.

"They have other blood, please just use that-" "you were made for this, now stop crying, it's just a blood draw, think about what your sister has to go through" she spat.

"No Ash, please" she begged, her attention going to him as he put gloves on.

"I'm so sorry Aaliyah" he spoke, sitting on the bed beside her.

"Luke don't let him please- I don't want it" she sobbed out.

Ashton and I made eye contact

She was tired

She wasn't feeling good

She had just woken up.

Now was not the time to force her into a blood draw.

"I'm not doing it." Ashton spoke firmly, making the whole room go silent.

"What?" Her mom spat out.

"As a doctor, I can refuse to do things and I'm refusing to do it, she just went through surgery, she shouldn't have to do anything she doesn't want to."

Her mom laughed lightly.

"Okay- then go ahead and discharge her."

This shocked us all.

"What?" Ashton spat quickly.

"Discharge her, we can move hospitals- we've done it before." She spat out.

"No, Luke" Aaliyah busted out into cries, crying harder than I've ever seen her cry.

As I pulled her into a hug, Ashton and I made eye contact.

"Do it" I spoke, seeing Ashton shake his head before coming to Aaliyah.

He continually repeated apologies as he took her arm, tying the band around it.

She tucked her wet face into my neck, making me hold her tightly.

He got the needle into her vein, letting the blood roll into the tubing.

As soon as he finished, he covered it with a bandaid, pulling her into his chest, letting her almost melt into his hug.

He kissed her head, the mom staring to us the entire time.

We didn't care.

"I'll be right back" he spoke, leaving the room.

I pulled her back into me, where I watched her eyes close as she laid against me, hiccuping lightly.

"When's the last time you ate?" I asked her, knowing she was already close to underweight- she didn't need to make that any worse.

"Please don't make me do anything right now"