twenty-two

《CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO》

CARTER WOKE WITH a start

CARTER WOKE WITH a start. It had been a few days since she had last had a really bad nightmare, but that few day streak was set back to zero.

This particular one brought her back to one of the days she had been locked in her room with no food. The only reasoning being that she had begged not to get her injections the previous day. She was made to stay in her room the whole day, with nothing to eat. Every few hours they would pass her a water bottle, but that was it.

Sure, not having food for 24 hours wasn't the worst thing she had to endure, but for a seven year old, it was high up there.

She lay in bed, looking up at the ceiling, even though she couldn't see it because the whole room was engulfed in darkness as it was still the early hours of the morning. Usually after the nightmares, it took her a while to get back to sleep. Sometimes she couldn't even get back to sleep at all. The horrible memories would keep flooding back into her mind, becoming clearer by the second and once she let one get in, it was like a dam full of horrible memories bursting.

This was one of those nights where she didn't get back to sleep. Even though her eyes felt tired, her brain was wide awake. The time she spent laying in her bed were full of her trying to push memories away, but failing.

After about an hour of laying in bed, she realised that her attempt to get back to sleep was definitely not going to work and took her arm out from under the covers and felt around for the lamp switch.

The immediate brightness caused her eyes to shut for a second.

When her eyes adjusted to the brightness, she sighed and looked at her wall of drawings. It was Saturday, meaning that it was the day Tony started her training again.

~\☆/~

Many hours after her nightmare, Carter and Tony walked out to the large stretch of grass they usually went to to practise. Carter was wearing her suit, though Tony wasn't, but she knew that with a click of a button he could be wearing it.

As the hours of the day passed, Carter grew steadily more tired. Her eyes displayed that fact and Tony noticed.

"How much sleep did you get last night?" He asked as they reached their spot.

"I don't know," she answered as she yawned.

"You gonna be okay for training?"

"I'll be fine."

~\☆/~

Carter jumped off the edge of a portal, before falling through another as she had done a countless number of times before. She was more sloppy than usual, due to her exhaustion from barely any sleep, as well as the fact that she hadn't practised with them in a while and was a little rusty.