epilogue

《EPILOGUE》

THE FUNNY THING about forgetting is that you can't when you want to

Carter wanted to forget everything that had gone down at the lab that night, but images of blood, bodies and a quickly purpling face were all fresh in her mind.

They'd flash upon her mind when she least expected it. Just a fleeting image of a severed hand or the sound of Dr. Smith struggling to get air into his desperate lungs. When she would try to sleep, those thoughts would plague her mind, not allowing any dreams that didn't end with the sound of suffering.

It was worse the first few days after everything that happened, when the images were still fresh in her mind. They didn't go away as the weeks went on, but they definitely lessened, especially after she would have those late night talks with Wanda or Pepper or, sometimes, even Happy.

She was still suffering, but this time she had people to help her.

~\☆/~

Carter didn't go back to school. Instead she stayed at the facility, learning her stuff from there. For one thing, her identity had been revealed and now everyone knew who she was, so she didn't want to face a bunch of excited kids who wanted details about the Avengers.

For another, she was (even though she didn't want to admit it) afraid of what she would find there. Would Aiden and Elias both be gone? Gone into high school, five years older than when she last saw them, or would she find them the same they were when she left them? She didn't know and she wasn't sure she wanted to find out.

But the curiosity kept weighing down on her shoulders and it eventually got the better of her. That was how she found herself standing outside of Aiden's apartment building in the same alleyway that she met him in years ago. She quickly made her way out of the alley, towards the front door, before she could stop herself.

She wore a cap in hopes that she wouldn't be recognised by anyone and as she walked inside to two people having a heated discussion by a large potted plant, she assumed that it worked. Or maybe they were just so busy fighting that they wouldn't have recognised her if she was standing there in her suit. Either way, she would take it.

She moved quickly towards the stairs, but not too quickly to make her seem suspicious, and kept climbing until she reached the third floor. Aiden had mentioned his apartment number before and she was glad to know that she still remembered it.

Her heart beat began to speed up as she neared the door and when she was faced with the door bearing the number 53, she raised a shaking fist and rapped on the door.