thirty-three

《CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE》

"Please?" CARTER ASKED Tony for what was probably the twelfth time that day

"If you ask me that again, I'm gonna shred your suit."

"You wouldn't do that, you made it. Besides, if you—"

"Oh, hi, Pep," Tony interrupted her as he walked through the kitchen and greeted Pepper. "Do you hear something? Because I don't."

"Hey!" Carter announced as she waved her arms around in the air, trying to get Tony's attention. "I'm right here!"

"Tony," Pepper lightly scolded him, "cut it out. What's the matter, Carter?"

Carter plopped herself onto one of the barstools by the long counter that Pepper stood at. "I've been asking him if I can visit Lila, but he won't let me! And he won't even tell me why!"

"Lila? Lila—"

"Barton," Tony answered. "Lila Barton, Clint's daughter."

Pepper smiled at the young girl. "Carter, I don't know if it's a good idea for you to see her right now, but maybe in a while there will be a good opportunity."

"But why? Is this all about that fight at the airport? Bevause if it is, I don't really think it's fair that I don't get to see my friend just because Tony is angry at Steve."

Before Tony could even turn around and spit the words that were perched on the edge of his tongue, Pepper placed a hand on his arm and told him to leave the kitchen.

"There's a lot of stuff going on that's adult business. You should be glad you don't have to worry about it. Besides, trust me when I say it's really boring." Pepper rolled her eyes jokingly, a kind smile set on her face.

"But why won't anyone tell me what it is? Maybe I could help!" She said eagerly, bouncing up and down on her stool.

Pepper smiled sadly at the young girl. "I'm sure you could," she told her, "but you're already helping by not getting involved. But moving on from that topic, would you like to help me make lunch?"

Carter did want to help her make lunch.

~\☆/~

For the next few months, everything was normal. Carter got to celebrate the birthday that Tony had made up for her the year before. She got to watch a lot more Disney movies, but there were still none that she preferred more than Hercules.