[18] Monster

Art by stormy_aozora71 <3

"Well, look at that! You voted correctly! Congratulations, you guys!" Monokuma chirped. "Give yourselves a hand! Let me hear your joyful voices!" The only thing that could be heard was Tsumugi's sobs. 

Monokuma got a bit agitated. "I said, let me hear your joyful voices!"

"Dammit... why?" Kaito mumbled.

"Geez, they're all just moping around! They should be happy for themselves!" Monokuma then glared at Kokichi. "Hey, Ouma... You said this would liven things up. What gives, huh? You said you were gonna liven up the killing game and the class trial... And I said I'd put the motive -the secret of the outside world- into the killing game simulator."

"Ah-haha, that was juuuuust a lie."

"Oh, so it was a lie." Monokuma sighed.

"He just laughed it off!?" Himiko screeched.

"Are you satisfied, Ouma-kun?" Shuichi snapped. "I want you to tell us. What is the 'outside world'? Is it the motive you gave Gokuhara-kun?"

"I plan to explain all of that... but it's more like, how do I say it...? You guys are gonna assume it's a lie if you hear it from my cute lips... Oh, yeah! Then let's have Gokuhara-chan explain!"

"Gokuhara-kun doesn't remember anything." Kiibo stated. "How can you expect him to-"

"Then, we should all go back into the killing game simulator! Why don't we ask the Gokuhara-chan in the Virtual World?"

"B-But... going back into the Virtual World is-"

"Puhuhu..." Monokuma's laugh interrupted Kiibo. "There's a much easier way than that pain-in-the-ass method." Monokuma pulled up a computer and started madly typing away. "Gokuhara's memories didn't transfer over, so they're still in the Virtual World as data. I can combine Gokuhara's consciousness from his last login with that memory data!" Monokuma slammed his paws down on the keyboard a bit more and then flipped the computer to us, showing them the Virtual World Gonta. "Ta-da! Alter ego Gokuhara is now complete!"

"Alter ego...?" Maki repeated.

"Basically, it's a separate Gokuhara that only exists in the virtual space. If we listen to what he says, we should be able to find out what happened in that world."

"Huh?" The computer spoke. "What this? What happening?"

"Is this... me?"

"Is that... me?"

Himiko stared at the computer with wide eyes. "W-What sort of phenomenon is this? What did you do?"

"Relax, Yumeno. It's not magic and it's not a trick. It's just imitating Gokuhara's thought patterns. It's actually different from the real Gokuhara." Monokuma explained.

The computer spoke again. "I-I don't understand... Who is this alter ego person?"

"See? It's even stupid like the real Gokuhara! You can hardly tell the difference. Plus, he's got Gokuhara's memories of the Virtual World, so he should remember what happened."

"T-Then, other me... tell me. Why!? Why did I kill Iruma-san!?" Gonta yelled.

The computer avatar got wide eyes. "Kill Iruma-san...? Why does the other me know about-"

"Unfortunately, our plan failed..." Kokichi spoke up. "You can tell them the truth now."

"...Oh. Then... I couldn't save everyone?" The computer sighed.