Four

"This is insuperable," I complained as my bed maiden came to wake me in the morning, and ready me for the hunting trip. "It is still dark outside!" I grounded, looking at the window, the low glow of the candle that the maiden had brought in with her gave the room a dim glow.

My eyes felt heavy, my body ached with the need to stretch. I wanted nothing more than to crawl back into my bed and feel the warmth of it. My body gave a shiver as I shrugged the shirt over my shoulders that I was being dressed into. A sheepskin coat was thrown over my clothes, my dark breeches feeling uncomfortable on my cold skin. "Tell my father I've fallen ill" I demanded to Juanita as she finished tying the laces on my knee-high boots.

She gave a soft laugh as she stood up, "I've been told not to listen to any of your excuses unless you are lifeless and cold to the touch from death."

"Well, that seems rather rude," I mumbled, walking from my bedroom, huffing as I saw Tsar walking from his, dressed in similar clothing as I, green in colour with high boots.

"Are you ready for the day my lord?" He teased with a playful smirk. I grunted to him, rolling my eyes as he made his way over and patted on my shoulder. "Oi, least you can do is pretend you're looking forward to this."

"No."

He laughed and walked with me outside, and towards the stables, where my father and both Talbot men were waiting, — along with their footmen.

"You look as if you'd rather be walked over by horses," Edward commented as I walked closer to the men.

I glared at him. "I will gladly let Mav walk atop of me if it means I can go lay in my chambers."

"Oi, my young lord, you are not eh morin' person," Benedict said with a chuckle.

"Boy never has been," Father said, waving his footmen to get the horses. "Tsar is taking Dublin and the weapons. I will be taking Bonice, Ser Benedict and Edward have brought their own steeds. Ser Edward suggests you ride along with him till you are used to riding on your own, so the boys will be taking a horse each, one for you to ride back on. We will also be taking Thinker for any game we catch." The boys, being his footmen — Danny and Ronald, neither boy was over the age of eighteen, their mother was a kitchen worker and their father a stables man, hence why they came with the horses. Danny was the younger of the two by a year or so. His dirty blond hair was hidden by a gray beret, one that matched his brothers. Both boys had on long cotte's in green shades.

I huffed, watching as Tsar readied his horse with the bows we were to take with us. "Up on the horse my lord," Edward said, coming to me from behind. "I can offer you a hand if you'd like." He looked up at his horse, one I had known as well. Her name was Alice and Edward had her for many years. He loved the horse more than most, she was more to him than just an animal for travel, she was a family member.

Edward was first, stepping onto the nearby stool to get onto the large animal before holding a hand down to me, reluctantly I took his hand and pulled my weight onto the back of the mare. I sat behind him, my arms quickly wrapping around his waist so as not to fall. "I would much rather be in my chambers," I mumbled, Edward, let out a chuckle as he tapped the side of Alice with his heels.

It was a slow walk into the woods, father was at the front of us on his horse, with ser benedict close enough to him to share words. Edward and I were not far behind, but enough that we could not hear the words spoken. Tsar was alongside us, going on about how he wished to get a boar and impress ser benedict and father with his skill. All the while Danny was behind us with the extra horse, his brother between father and me.

It didn't take me long to become used to the motion of riding the horse. It was not like I had never been on one before. But never into the deep woods, these mares had nothing on their backs. And more often than not I was behind the animal in a carriage. We had trotted the horses deep into the forest that was far beyond the castle, every so often you would see a rabbit or squirrel run by as they looked for their food or homes.

Father had tried to talk me into hunting before, but I had always come up with something. Sick with the flu, piano lessons with Madam Elizabeth, I promised mother I would read to the orphans. There were many things. But I knew it would not last long.

We stopped in a small clearing and dismounted, each of us given a quiver and bow. Tsar even had his own that he wore proudly on his shoulder. I looked towards Edward. The early morning sun was starting to peek in through the trees, it was given his black hair a golden hue. He looked up to me, a smile on his face. There was something in his eyes, in the way he looked at me that had me holding my breath. I couldn't help but give a shy smile back to him as he fixed his bow. "Oi, let's go then." Ser Benedict called. The younger boys tied the horses, leaving them in the field as they both stayed behind to keep watch, both boys having a lance on their sides as they were being left alone in the wide.

We had split into groups, father and I with Tsar and Edward went with his father. I looked up to my father as we walked bowfooted in the bush. I spent many hours chatting with my father over tea. But it was never about ourselves. It was about battles, about wars, about the kingdom. I knew bits about him, but did he know who I was? Of course not. If he had, we would not be in the woods in the early hours of the morning.

Four hours. We spent four hours in the woods and I had not seen an animal. Not even a bunny. We met back with the Talbots, and I was impressed to see that they had a boar with them and the boys were securing it to the back of a horse. "Ah, good job men." Father bellowed, patting the older Talbot on the shoulder. "Very impressive. We saw nil. But next time we will have you beat."

Ser Benedict chuckled, taking Edward by the scuff of the neck. "It was all da' boy. Arrow in ta' head. Right between em eyes."

Father nudged my shoulder, "Soon you'll be doing things like that." He said in a low tone, one for only our ears. My stomach churned, but I nodded hoping this distaste was not written on my face.

"Your boy's more suited for ta' kitchen wit' the women Charles." Ser Benedict said as I was getting up on the horse, He said it low enough to make me think my ears were not supposed to hear it, but I did, and I paused to listen to the reply of my father.

"He just doesn't have the talent for it. His fingers graced piano keys, not a bow before. It will take some learning."

"He not in his twenties?"

"Ai, he is. Soon he will have my throne. He needs many talents." Father gathered himself onto his mare, turning her reigns back towards the pathway.

Ser Benedict just shook his head, turning his horse as well, both men passed by us, and soon we followed making trek towards the castle ground again

"One pint," Edward begged, taking his hand in mine as we stood alone in my chambers. "I promise I will protect you. Nobody will even speak to you."

"It's not a good idea." I took my hand from his, frowning at him.

"One, please."

"Why?" I questioned, getting vex at the way he would not take a no for an answer.

"I have never had a time out with you." He started, making my gaze soften on him at his low tone. "Many of my mates take their women out, I wish to take you out. It may not be known to those around us, but I have only seen you behind the castle walls, or in the garden." He took my hand again, bringing it to his lips as he kissed the ring that sat on my middle finger. "I will make it worth your wild. Perhaps I will show you my home? You do not need to spend the night. But I wish to show you the world that is beyond the stone walls of a castle."

My mouth opened but slowly closed as I nodded my head. What could hurt, leaving the walls anyways?