Six

Despite the pain I felt in every corner of my body, I got from the bed, Tsar was quick to help me with my dress before I hurried down towards the grand hall.

I could see people filing in, men and women alike, woman with their husbands who had been called to attention. I could feel my stomach sink as the bells rang inside.

The great - or grand hall, had enough room to fit over seven hundred men, mother liked to hold balls in the room. It had large windows on the left side of the room, and the tallest ceilings I have ever witnessed, the floor was a polished gold colour to match the walls, most of which had intricate designs coming from them.

Father was yet to come in the room, but the dozen or so men were all in there, including Edward, and his father. I tried to ignore the bad feeling in my gut as I walked towards the Talbots. Father was close friends with them both, so I was hopeful that whatever this was, it would not be overly bad.

"My lord, you're looking rather pale," Edward greeted with a grin, stepping aside to make room between himself and his father for me.

"I feel as Mav as walked atop of me, multiple times."

"What was worse, huntin' or horses?" The elder Talbot said with a chuckle, I just gave them both a weary smile, my head still feeling as if it was floating in the clouds if the clouds were full of spikes.

"Do we know what this is about?" I asked, pulling the cloke that I had thrown onto myself over my body, a chill spreading through my core.

"Nay, your father and the hand called the meeting for today late last night. Apparently, they had been up all the night, something is amiss." Benedict said, his falling into a serious stance, his brow creasing as he looked towards the front of the room where father and mother thrones sat empty.

Tsar shook his head, and I could see he was biting on the inside of his mouth, a nervous habit he had since childhood. The only one who did not seem worried was Edward, who had started another conversation with a man and his wife that stood alongside us.

Soon trumpets blew, and my father along with this right hand walked into the room. Magnus was a nice man, bigger in areas and short. But he was always someone who would make you laugh if it was needed. But today, both my father and Magnus looked grim, no smiles graced their faces as father sat in his seat, Magnus standing along with him with his hands behind his back.

Once father was seated, there was an eerie quiet that hushed over the room. Nobody moved, nobody spoke, everybody just waited to see what their king would say.

"I apologize for the short notice. But I thank you for taking the time to join us today," He started, hands gripping the arms tightly. "It has come to our attention just last night that King John's troupes fat north, they are, thankfully not coming towards our kingdom. But unfortunately, that means they are coming close to our sister village, the very place my dear wife spent her childhood. I can not allow her childhood home, and her family to be taken by the hands of a heartless man like John. And that is why I have called you all here today." My stomach sank, my eyes looked towards Tsar, and then Edward to see they both looked a little paler then they had before.

"You men, are the bravest, strongest, and my most cherished. The troops towards Elventranna are of less than ten. Just a small rade that will take out the whole village. There are twenty of you here. I had started with calling a mear twelve, but the more we have in numbers the better. You will set out by nightfall tomorrow. Say your goodbyes, and get your bearings in order. Despite the numbers, it will be harder than you may imagine. But I have faith in you all." Father stood up. "I would not call you all here if I did not believe in you." He started off, leaving the men in front of him all in a state of shock.

It's not that we didn't know this would happen, but all happened so soon, they had just been given hope of staying out of the war just days ago. And now, they were going to be head to head with a small fleet of King John's men.

I looked towards Edward, only to see his eyes looking down on me, I could see the fear in them, but I could also see the strength, the determination.

"You will be fine," I said with a small breath of air. "You will all be fine." He gave me a curt nod, looking towards his father.

"Aye, you will be fin' As Charles said. We got' fait' in yea."The older Talbot said, patting his son on the shoulder, Taz nodded, sighing as he looked around the room. It had gotten empty, many of the men having left when father did, some still stayed behind, mulling over their thoughts while they conversed with their mates in arms. I shook my head, my hands shaking as I turned away from the men in front of me.

I hurried from the grand room and made my way into the study, somewhere I knew my father spent most of his time, I hadn't even thought about knocking on the door when I had bragged in. Father was sat in his box chair, the red satin matching the other chair that Mangus was sitting in, both men were looking down at a table that had some type of map on it. Mangus looked up first, his brown eyes looking surprised, his brows pulled taut.

Father let out a sigh, putting down a quill he had set in his hand. "Father," I said, stepping into the room, "You cannot be serious, have you thought to speak with Ser Talbot before sending his son off to war?"

Father sat up, his eyes meeting with mine as he got to his feet. "My son, I know Ser Edward is a close friend of yours, but both he and Benedict are aware of the unfortunate consequences of choosing this life. I would not have chosen Ser Edward had I thought he would not come home."

"But you had given him hope of coming home every night, and then you steal that from him."

"You are being childish," Father said, lifting his hand to stop me from commenting further. "As I had said, I believe in Edward, and all those other men. I have hope that they will be home before a fortnight. You should have more faith in those men child. They fight for you and I, they are well aware they may die as well."

"Now," father said, grabbing his cane that sat nearby, one that he did not use often. Only in private. So not to seem weak to his men I assumed. "I have a bath waiting for me. Do show yourselves out." He walked out, using his cane to brace his left leg, one that was broken long before I was born. I sighed, looking towards Mangus who was now nose deep into a book.

"Do not be blinded by love my lord, it will get you into dangerous situations. "

I stopped mid-turn. I looked at Mangus, keeping as much composure as I could given what he just said. "I beg your pardon?"

The older man sat up, placing his book in his lap. "I am no fool my lord, and I mean no disrespect. I too favour the arms of a man from time to time but keep it to yourself. Unless you want to lose your title, and most likely your head as well." Mangus grabbed his book, tucking it under his shoulder before standing up to make his way out. He stopped alongside me, placing a hand on my shoulder lightly. "You are a smart lad, do not lollygag over the simple things" And with that, he walked out, leaving me alone in the room with more questions than answers.