Twenty

I was up long before the sun, long before the birds. Had I slept at all? Maybe a wink. — And I was not alone with that, for when I cracked my chambers door I was greeted by Tsar and Preston, both who were standing outside in the hallway, chatting quietly to one another. Tsar raised his head to see me first, and he gave me a nod, and a small smile before turning towards me.

"You're already dressed, why does that not surprise me?" Taz said, walking down the corridor, and I quickly trailed beside him, Preston not far from us.

"Did yea sleep at all m'lord?"

I chuckled, shaking my head at Preston. "Mayhaps. Where is Alex?"

"Asleep I would assume, like any sane person." Tsar mused a small smile. Our steps got quicker as we walked down to the yard. The sun had graced the sky, birds had finally started their songs. It was a cooler day, the fall weather was starting to come upon us, trees were turning orange and red, leaves were slowly starting to fall down to the ground.

"Do we know when they will be here?" Pres said as he walked towards the stables, we followed, even though the boys did well with managing the stables, Preston had taken it upon himself to feed the horses in the morning, and let the boys sleep in. It was like the man was trying to do everything in his power to make us all trust him. But I still had my doubts, as anyone would.

"No, but if he leaves at dusk, he should be here by midday. And if he had left yesterday afternoon. He should be here in the morning. It really is just a waiting game. Once we are done here you and Taz will watch the gates, I will not be far."

"And how are you feeling?" Tsar asked, stroking the nose of one of the horses.

How was I feeling? I tried not to feel too much this morning. I tried to hide how excited I felt. When Edward first went missing, I remember feeling a pit in my stomach, feeling pain and hurt. Trying not to try and failing so miserably at it for the first few days. And now, today. Edward was due to come back. And I was over the moon. But I was not a child who could jump for joy and hug their loved one when they came into the courtyard. No, my father was already suspicious. My father had already threatened Edward and I. Though he had not yet readied a bride for me, I knew they were searching. He had sent out a few women of the house just a week before. Soon families would have their daughters ready and waiting to be brides standing at the gates of the castle.

Word would be getting out soon that I was to be married, and my father had words about keeping Edward and me apart.

I shook my head, biding the two a farewell, making sure to stay close to the castle doors, I paced the hallways, before being stopped by Mangus, who walked the hallways towards me with an arm full of scrolls. "Oh, m'lord. What are you doing out here?"

"Just, very deep in thought. And yourself?"

"Bringing these to the meeting room," He gestured to his arms, "How are you feeling. I know you must be feeling unwell due to the up and coming nuptials. And your missing loved one. So much at one time can cause a man to lose his mind."

I gave him a tight smile, trying to keep my thoughts under control, trying not to snap at the fat older man, who I knew meant well. "Yes, it can be a bit. But I'm sure everything will work itself out."

"I know if your father finds out of my words I could be in much trouble. But if you need someone to speak to, or to help you find someone to warm your bedside besides the lass that will soon be in your bed, I have many of friends that would be willing to keep a secr-" Mangus was cut off by feet running down the hallways towards us, We both turned our heads to see Alexander, panting as he ran towards us.

"My lord. Mangus. Get word to Ser Talbot, Ser Edward has arrived home."

Though I knew it was going to happen, though I knew the moment was coming today. I could feel my arms turn to jelly, could feel my face turn pale as my heartbeat stopped in my chest. My feet moved on their own as I ran towards the kingdoms gates, I heard Mangus call my name but I had ignored him as I ran.