Eighteen

I wished I could say that everything between Alex and I were alright. That his confession didn't put a strain on our relationship. But that was unfortunately not true when it came to the ride to the first village. I couldn't look at him, not in the eyes. I did find my gaze was trailing to him from time to time, but when he would look to catch it, I was quick to look away.

And I could tell that the other two men could feel the tension as well, by the way, they were looking at each other and trying to keep the small talk, well, small.

"They have amazing fruit in the next village. I think it will be worth it to save some for home." Tsar said, speaking to Ronald as they rode side by side

"Yes, Danny loves the apples from Reighton. They're much sweeter than what grows in outfields." Ronald replied, referring to his little brother, who we had to leave at the castle. I couldn't very well take both stable boys, or the horses that were left would go hungry. Plus father would have my head if I took all the help. It was bad enough taking the three that I had. It was not as if the castle was in dire need of help around it. But taking the help and making them your confidants.

I'm sure if it was mother who had been missing father would have moved hell and high water to get her back.

But it was different. I was different. Everything about Edward and I was different.

"Stop the horse," Tsar called out in a low whisper as we hit the tree line to Middle Hill Village. The three of us halted, looking through the trees to see the village smoking in areas. People running from left and right, I had not noticed the sounds of screams as we veered closer due to being so far into my own thoughts.

"What's happening?" Ronald whispers as I come alongside him, his fingers turning white as he holds the reigns to the horse tightly.

"They're being attacked." I turned to Alexander, his face stock. Emotionless. "We need to do something."

"Are you mad? What are we supposed to do? Go in there and get killed?" I ask, prompting my horse to step back before turning her around.

"We can't just do nothing!" It wasn't a yell, but it was not a whisper and the venom in it was nearly terrifying.

"No, you're right we can not. But what do you pose we do Alex?"

"I have an idea." It was Tsar who spoke up, turning his horse before stepping off and getting into his back, taking how a quiver, he already wore the bow around his mid. "We trained for this for Edward. We may as well take that training to use."

Tsar was settled into a tree, Alexander and Ronald left their horses as they carried their swords on their hips and walked towards the small village

Tsar was settled into a tree, Alexander and Ronald left their horses as they carried their swords on their hips and walked towards the small village. There was not a lot of men running around thankfully. About ten, five on horses from what Taz could see. Two on the ground starting fires, two running around and manhandling people, while one stood on the lookout.

Everything had happened in slow motion. Tsar was in the tree and then seconds later the arrow was flying through the air, knocking a man off his horse. I looked up, gaping at him. I had no idea that his skill level for archery was that well — well.

Another arrow went flying before Alex and Ron booked it into the village, their swords were drawn as they ran. I felt a sense of pride rise in my chest as I witnessed it all. And there was an itching. A need. I wanted to get out there, to join them.

I watched as men fell to their knees in blows from the sky, and as Alex swung his sword in the air meeting a random soldier in vengeance.

All that training, all that time spent in the fields. It was all paying off.

Until I watched Ron get taken to his knees by a man, and it was like I was outside of my body looking in. Alex was focused on another. If I didn't hurry Ronald would be dead. And that's what kept me going as I ran into the village, my own knife draw out. The older man only looked up for a moment before my blade was driven into his neck. I felt a hand to Ron who was quick to take it and stand on his feet. His back was to mind as we looked around at the last soldier fall to his knees with an arrow to the back.

It was like a ghost town, some of the men were left alive. But injured. Taz had made his way over, bow on his back as he met us. "I saw a man go into a home on the left." He mumbled, going towards said house, slamming the door open before going inside.

He was only gone for a moment when he came back out, holding a dirty blonde haired man with his arm twisted behind his back. "Eh' now mate yer holden' a little to tight for me liking. Loosen up."

"Oh like you care about the pain the people who live here were in when you and your men attacked the innocent?" Taz said pulling the man's arm harder.

"I never hurt nobody. I stand guard for a reason. God damn it let me go." Taz just rolled his eyes at that, before instructed Ron to take any weapons the man might have on his person.

Once that was done Taz let go of his hold, dropping the man arm but keeping his hand close to his blade if he needed it quickly. "What's your purpose here." He demanded, and I couldn't help but look at my best friend with wide eyes. I'd never heard him speak like that before, that tone of voice that demanded authority. It was almost frightening, yet at the same time, it was fascinating. It made me want to cower away, but I also wanted to stand and watch.

"We were ordered by King John's right hand to raid the village for what good it 'as. We got a camp set up on the ot'er side of the mountain. Safe land." He wasn't wrong. The mountain on the other side of the valley didn't belong to the Kingdom. Going there was suicide. "I ain't want to do it. But it's me job. Me duty as a knight."

"What's yer name?"

"Sir Preston O'Maley of Spring Ridge. Fourth son of Sir Albert O'Malley."

"Albert O'Malley? Isn't that-"

"King Johns right 'and man sir," Preston said with a nod. "Me older three brothers are all knights as well. I was born when me youngest older brother was ten. I ain't got to choose what I wanted to do. Yea grows up around knights. You become one. If Ye want me head, yea can take it. I dun wan' to go back home a failure anyway."

I looked at Taz, who looked at Preston with furrowed brows before taking his hand away from his weapon. "I am Tsar. This is Alexander, Ronald and The Prince of Trinbent. You're coming with us back to Dallington. You can either prove your worth or you can prove me wrong and I will gladly take your head from your shoulders. Understood."

"Are you crazy?" Alexander seethed. "He could be a spy. You're letting the King's best friends son in breathing distance of our own King and his family. You're putting us all at risk."

"And you actually think he will be alone long enough to send word where he is back to his family? You must really be stu-"

"Enough." I said, stopping the men from arguing, "I agree with Alexander. It's foolish to let someone we do not know behind our walls."

"But Isa- "

I held up my hand, cutting Tsar off from his fight. "But, if you can promise me that you will have eyes on him at all times. I will allow it. But only temerity."

"Isa— "

"My word is final. And you will take my word because if my father finds out who he is, he will not only kill Preston but nothing will stop him from sending you away as well. Stop trying to fight with me. What's done is done.

"Now, I would like to go home now please."