Chapter 1

"Mommy mommy, I'm home!" Emilia shouts, skipping in through the door. She had such a fun day at school and almost nothing could ruin it.
     "I'm in the kitchen sweetie!" her mother, Alice, shouts back. Hearing this Emilia skips into the kitchen and sees her mother, Alice, wrapping something.
     "What's that Mommy?" Emilia asks curiously, trying to peek. Alice immediately covers the gift and turns to her daughter.
     "It's a surprise for later," Alice says, moving the gift behind her.
     "Can I see, pretty please?"
     "No honey, it's a surprise. Go on upstairs and I'll call you for dinner later." Emilia giggles and skips on upstairs. Alice waits until Emilia is out of earshot and mutters, "I hope Justin is home on time for once."
     Emilia opens her door and sets her bag on her bed.
     "I wonder what Mommy was wrapping?" Emilia whispers to herself, giddy. She walks over to her calendar and is filled with excitement when she sees the big red circle over tomorrow with the words, Emilia's 8th Birthday, inside it.
     "I can't wait to be eight years old!" Emilia whispers, bubbling with excitement.
                                      ————
     A few hours pass and Emilia hears her mother call, "Emilia, dinner!"
     Emilia rushes downstairs, starving. She reaches the dining room and sits in her normal seat when she looks over and sees someone missing. Alice walks in and notices Emilia's glance to the empty chair.
     "Alright, let's eat!" Alice says, trying to divert Emilia's attention. Emilia and Alice both start to eat, in silence. While eating Emilia wonders, 'I wonder when Daddy will be home?'
     "Emilia? Did you hear me?" Alice asks, snapping Emilia out of her thoughts.
     "Oh, no Mommy. What did you say?"
     "How was school today?"
     "Oh! It was so much fun. We were allowed to play games at the end of the day and I got to hang out with Riley during recess!"
     "That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you had a good day," Alice says, taking in her daughter's bright smile. The rest of dinner is eaten in silence, with Emilia wanting to ask about where Daddy was, but not wanting to upset her Mommy. Once dinner is finished Emilia starts to do the dishes and Alice clears the table. Emilia and Alice are working in a comfortable silence when the door slams open, rattling the house and causing Emilia to drop a glass with water
    "Emilia go upstairs and lock your door now!" Alice shouts.
      Emilia looks at the spilled water when the familiar smell of alcohol wafts through the room burning her nose. She feels tears coming on and runs up to her room locking the door. Emilia rushes her her bed and jumps under the covers fighting the tears. Through the blanket and the door most of the conversation is muffled, but Emilia can still tell they are fighting again.
     "Drunk... back... sober... scaring Emilia!" Alice yells out.
     "Not... crazy... want... daughter!" Justin roars out, slurring words.
     "So much for a good day," Emilia miserably whispers, feeling the tears start to slide down her face. Not a minute later a crash and scream rings throughout the house and a door slams rattling the house again. The sudden silence is deafening to Emilia and she quiets her sobs.
                                    ————
     Alice watches her husband stumble out slamming the door. When the door closes she lets out a breath she was holding and turns to the mess on the ground. Before she cleans it up Alice walks up to check on Emilia muttering, "she's too young to have to deal with this."
                                   ————
     Emilia hears a knock and slowly untangles herself from her sheets. She wipes the tears from her face and unlocks the door, opening it.
"I'm so sorry you had to hear that Emi," Alice says, embracing Emilia. Emilia hugs back, afraid if she speaks she will start crying again. Alice releases the embrace kissing Emilia on the head.
     "I need to go clean something up. I'll be downstairs if you need me." Emilia nods and Alice turns to walk downstairs to clean the mess Justin made.
     Emilia watches her Mommy walk downstairs and glances at the clock.
     "Only eight o' clock and already a fight," Emilia mumbles. For the next few hours Emilia stays in her room until she decides she wants a drink before she goes to bed. She heads to the steps, but as soon as she reaches them the door slams open again. Emilia gasps and runs to hide behind the wall. She can smell the tang of alcohol stronger than before burning her eyes and nose.
     "Justin! I told you to go get sober, not more drunk! You've already scared Emilia once, let's not do it again! Where are you even getting this money?" Alice exclaims, furiou.
     "You... don't gert to... tell me whvat to do!" Justin slurs out.
     "Justin! Hush, Emilia is sleeping. You don't want to wake her up and have her see us fighting again do you?"
     "M-maybe she'll learn a... a leasson."
     "Justin..." Emilia doesn't wait for the answer and runs to her room, her eyes filling with tears, and closes her door quietly. When she reaches the solitude of her bed she finally releases the tears sobbing out "Why can't Mommy and Daddy love each other like before?"
     Emilia crawls under her blankets trying to quiet her harsh sobs shaking her body. When she's finally stopped the tears the house goes silent. Emilia looks up confused when a loud crash reverberates through the house, causing someone to scream. Emilia screams in surprise and springs out of bed to scramble under the bed for more protection. Under the bed Emilia curls into a ball and covers her ears trying to block out the noise with her hands. The yelling only increases causing Emilia to sob louder in an attempt to drown out the fight. When this doesn't work she turns her back to the door and is met with yellow eyes peering back at her.
___________________________________
Hey guys! This is my first story and if you see any grammar issues please be sure to let me know!  Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the story!