Chapter 2

"Today is the day!" Nork says, humming happily. Tonight is his first scaring night which he's been preparing for all his life. Monsters don't scare children to be mean, but to help the parent-child relationship. Nork walks over to the service desk, asking for his assignment. They give him a file and on top of the file says, Failed. Confused, Nork turns to ask the assistant but she's already busy with another monster. Nork looks at the file once more and sighs starting to walk back to his house. At home he opens up the file and inside is a picture of a little girl and all her details.
       Emilia Rosewood
             Age: 7 years old
             Birthday: September 14th
             Fear: Yelling or loud noises
             Bedtime: Can range from 9 to 10pm
             Bed: Single twin
             Portal: Orange
             Status: Failed. No monster has been able to scare her.
     "My child isn't scared of monsters?" Nork mumbles, confused. He was taught that every child has a fear. Nork looks at the photo and makes a silent vow to not give up on his child. Night falls and Nork heads to the portal room. Inside he sees the glowing orange portal waiting for him. Nork enters and appears in Emilia's room with a quiet whoosh. Inside he gathers his thoughts and decides what he wants to do first. His first thought is to growl, but that results in nothing. His second thought is to shake the bed, but is left again with no reaction. Each night Nork tries something new until he is all out of things to try. He isn't sure why he can't scare her or wake her even, but knows he was matched with her for a reason.
     On this particular night, Nork arrives and hears crying making him wonder, 'How is she crying already?'
     A few minutes pass and it seems like no parent is coming in to comfort her. Nork is just about to leave when he hears a crash reverberate through the house. He freezes in fear for a few seconds then chastises himself for getting scared so easily. While he is chastising himself something comes flying under the bed with him. Nork jumps back being startled and quickly realizes it's his child, Emilia, sobbing, curled in a ball. Another scream travels through the house making Nork want to cover his ears and curl up like Emilia. He watches Emilia shake more with each crash through the house. Nork wants to reach out, but knows it's forbidden to touch a child. As he watches Emilia he sees her turn around and looks at him with her tear filled eyes. In that moment Nork realized why no monster has been able to scare his child. His child has much bigger and scarier monsters in her life compared to a little monster like him.