Chapter 3

Emilia pauses and stares at the yellow eyes. She hears another crash and grabs Nork's fur. Nork, bewildered, freezes up. 'What do I do? What do I do?' Nork panics. He takes a few deep breaths and the first thing his mind tells him to do is to hug her, so he does. He wraps his giant fluffy arms around Emilia, engulfing her. Emilia is crying too much to notice, but slowly drifts off. After the yelling dies down, Nork looks down and sees Emilia sleeping peacefully. He climbs out from under the bed and gently lays her down. When she looks comfortable he covers her and looks to the window. Sunrise will happen in a few hours, so Nork decides to end the night early and head back. He crawls back to the portal and as he goes through a soft whoosh can be heard.
    In the morning Emilia wakes up and finds herself in her bed. 'How did I-,' she starts to think, until it all comes rushing back to her. She jumps off the bed and looks underneath, but sees nothing.
    "Where did the monster go?" Emilia wonders out loud. Before she can wonder anymore about the monster, Alice knocks on the door.
    "Emi! Time to get up for school!"
    "Ok, I'm awake Mommy!" Emilia says back. She gets ready and as she walks downstairs she is still thinking about the monster. 'Hmm, where would it have gone?' she wonders. When she looks up she sees the house exactly the same for last night, except for a lamp missing. When she looks up at her Mommy she sees a cut on her cheek, and immediately knows where the lamp went. She sits down and starts to eat breakfast when her Daddy comes down the steps. The kitchen is tense, but it seems like her parents are trying to ignore it. 'Do they know how much I heard last night?' Emilia questions silently.
    "Emi are you ready? I can take you to school," Justin asks.
    "Yeah, I need to go get my bag," Emilia responds and runs upstairs to grab it. As she's walking down Emilia has a horrible thought come to her head, 'have they forgotten about my birthday?'
    While Emilia is on her way to school Nork is tossing and turning all morning. He couldn't sleep with Emilia's tear stained face in his mind. 'I need to go to my mentor,' Nork finally decides. When he climbs out of bed and arrives he knocks on the door to be met with a very tired looking monster.
    "Nork, what are you doing at this hour?" His mentor sleepily asks.
    "I'm sorry for coming unplanned, but I need your help," Nork says.
    "Fine, come in," his mentor says while motioning in. Nork walks in and explains what he saw last night.