Chapter 7

Emilia tip toes down stairs and goes to the living room. She sees her Mommy asleep on the couch with puffy eyes. She doesn't know what to do, but wonders if she is the reason for the tears this time. The thought of that makes Emilia want to cry more. Behind her a door opens and Justin walks in.
    "Alice let's go. We can lea-," Justin stops mid sentence seeing Emilia.
    "Do... do you know?" he fumbles out. Emilia nods and turns to walk up the steps. She didn't want to face her parents together. When she reaches the top she knows she shouldn't listen, but she turns and hides behind the banister.
    "Alice I saw her. She couldn't even look at me in the eyes. She looked so lost. Does that sound like our happy Emilia? Does it Alice? Does it? Justin says getting louder at each word.
    "I know! I know! She didn't take the news very well. I had to tell her! You don't hear her in her room like I do. After every fight she's in there crying and whispering why don't we love each other like we used to. She's only eight Justin. She shouldn't have to deal with this. Get your stuff and get out. We can do the rest later." Alice starts loudly, but gets quieter at every word. Emilia rushes over to her room and makes it look like she was playing with her toys. Alice knocks on the door and Emilia looks up.
    "I heard you saw Daddy."
    "Yeah..."
    "Emilia, Daddy isn't a bad person. We just-," Alice gets cut off.
    "What Mom! What! I get it. Trust me I do. You just don't leave each other anymore. But why. Why did you wait so long to do this. If you knew I was crying in my room each night asking myself why don't you love each other and is it something I did why didn't you end it earlier? Why didn't you save my pain? Emilia shouts out. She sees her Mom flinch from her outburst but she doesn't care enough to apologize.
     "Emilia, I know this is hard for you. It's hard for me to. But we will get through this and it will get better. I'm going to go out and finish the paperwork with your Father. The neighbors know you will be home alone. Don't open the door to anyone," Alice sternly says and walks out. Emilia watches her Mommy walk out and then sighs. She realized she called her Mom instead of Mommy. She never calls her Mom.