12.

The only sound you could hear around the table was utensils clattering against each other.

There was the occasional pass me the salt or ketchup or whatever isn't in there reach but is next to the person nearest to it. This was the first time there was five person sitting around the dinning room table. Ethan sat beside Cassie on her left, Shawn beside me on my right while Ethan is on my left and Chrissann on Cassie right. It felt awkward sitting between the two.

It was a little tense around the table. The tense atmosphere was unavoidable since the two of them didn't meet under favorable circumstances. One being my ex and my best friend. He once pretended to be my boyfriend to send Ethan a message. They did have a few testosterone face off and heated arguments. Not to mention two years ago we tried to see if we had anything for each other but two months in it got awkward. I guess this best friend with a boy was the relationship one.

So yeah it's awkward and you don't get to judge me for trying to date my best friend. Cassie was the first to break the ice but not enough to thaw it out.

She cleared her throat and glance around the table. "Annie how is school?" She asked. Her head immediately snapped up from her plate and I could see the excitement in her eyes as she was about to talk about her time at school.

"It's awesome. We did finger painting and Mrs Higgens is the best. She always tells us story about her adventure around the world when she was younger..." She recite all the amazing things that goes on at her school.

"I'm having a sleepover Friday night at Georgie's house. I can't wait." She told Cassie with unfiltered joy. Cassie had a big smile on her face.

"But he's a boy." Voiced Ethan. I could hear the disapproval in the way he said it. He looked at me like he's saying 'how could you allow her to have a sleep over at a boy's house'.

"He's not a boy, she is a girl with red hair and a little on the slim side and her real name is Georgina but I call her Georgie for short." She answered his questions and went back to eating and talking to Cassie animatedly. They both catch up on missed times together.

I couldn't blame him if he was baffled by the thought of her sleeping over at a boy house even though they are kids. I guess his father instincts are already kicking in. The only talking that was happening around the table was from those two while I watched them with a smile on my face. One or two time I would but into their conversation.

"Could you two stop that?" I finally sighed out when I got tired of their game.

"Stop what I'm not doing anything." Shawn said innocently.

"From the both of you saw each other standing in the same room and to sitting at the same table you two have been constantly glaring at each other and glancing at each other heatedly." I said sipping on the water not wine.

"That's not true." They both denied defensively then glared at each other for talking at the same time like some twins do.

"I would be happy to give you two a room to sort things out between each other because it seems that you two got something to work out and guessing by the level of testosterone I think it's a good idea." I said lifting the fork to my mouth.

They both turned to glare at me then at each other. "Whatever just keep it down low my daughter is still eating at the table." At that this both looked down to their own plate glaring at it instead of each other.

Once were finished with dinner we moved into the living room. I ushered Chrissann to her bed minutes later. I read her a bedtime story and when I was sure she was asleep I kissed her on the forehead and whispered goodnight.

I closed the door and made my way downstairs remembering that there was two ticking time bomb left in the living room.

When I came into the room I realized that it was quiet and no one were at each other throat. I breathe in relief when both was sitting opposite each other. I plopped down in the one seater and looked at everyone in the living room. The room was silent as I got lost in my thoughts.

The tension was still there meaning no one had put there differences aside but bottle them up ready to throw it like a bottle boom on the opposing team. I don't want it to blow up while my daughter is in the house sleeping.

"Ethan how long will you be staying in town?" The question came from Cassie but I know she's isn't curious but wanted to break the tangible silent.

"Not long I'll be leaving this Friday." He said not looking at her like there was something interesting in the ceiling as he lean back with his head tilt upwards.

After that no one spoke and no one tried to talk to get rid of the silence that was wrapped around us.

I think I'm going to need a drink. This is going to be a long night. I got up and stopped on the way to the kitchen. "Can I have one too? I don't think I'm going to make it through this without it." He muttered the last part.

I trapped four glass from the kitchen in case the other two decide that they want some too. I grabbed a bottle and walked back into the living room. I place the glasses on the coffee table and poured the alcohol in them. I took up my glass and another one for Shawn.

It wasn't long before the other two join in on the drinking and before you knew it we were talking like old friends catching up on lost time.  I guess the alcohol was all we needed to loosen up.

I think we drank more than one glass so now we are a mess laughing and cracking jokes like some drunk high schoolers and college kids.

Shawn stand up almost falling back on his face but he straighten his self before he could fall.

"It's been good talking but  going to hit the hay right now." He said and staggered out of the room. I giggled as he almost kissed the wall on his way out. Yes giggled I'm that drunk.

When the time hit midnight it was just the two of us left in the room. I didn't mind being in the same room with him as long as the alcohol is in my system.

I got up to fall back down I'm the couch. Shit. Why did I drink again? I think I'll just sleep here. I slouched in the trying to get comfortable in a sleeping position which I know is better than trying to go up the stairs and fall back down to my death.

As I close my eyes I could feel my body being lifted off of the couch and into strong hands. I was too tired to open my eyes to look at the person who the hands belong to.

I thought everyone was drunk so why is he able to carry me in his drunk state. He asked me were my room is and in my semi-conscious state I mumbled which on it was.

As soon as my body hit the bed I was out like a blackout not with acknowledging that I am going to feel like shit in the morning.