Eve of war

You hadn't spoken to Gellert since you had discovered what he had done. The lying, the manipulation, the toying with you.

You felt so useless.

He had tried multiple times to explain to you, but he her irritated with how you refused to even acknowledge him. He had asked Queenie several time to pass on message, but she would leave you with no answer for him.

Several times he had been seen sitting at his desk staring at the ring on his finger. He wished he could reach out to hold your hand, kiss you like he had done so many times before, dance with you like that first time.

He wanted you to listen.

Even then, you probably won't believe him. Would you believe a man who told you he meant how he felt, despite the fact he had lied to you for so long before that?

No one knew what to do about it.

Queenie wanted you to be happy, and he had made you that, but it was also his fault you were unhappy now. She wanted to make things better.

She wasn't sure why she did what she did, but it seemed to help a little bit.

On the bookshelf in the living room was a row of muggle books you had gathered, but had not read. She picked one out and ran her hand delicately over the cover. She had no idea what it was about, but she remembered when you picked it up. The smile on your face as you read the back and admired the cover.

Queenie shuffled into Grindelwald's office to see him sitting silently in his chair, ignoring her presence and electing to stare at the wall ahead of him. She could pretty much see the thoughts running through his head, even if she couldn't read them.

She neared the desk and placed the oil down softly, turning on her heel to walk out.

Gellert's eyes were drawn to the book. His brow furrowed as to why she had left it there for him to see. Queenie had barely left the room when he called out to her.

"What is this?" He asked softly.

"It's one of their books. A muggle story." Queenie bit her lips as she played nervously with her hands.

"Why are you bringing it to me?"

"I don't know, sir. I just... thought I had to."

He waved her off and picked up the book, holding it up so he could see the cover. He had no interest in reading it himself. The only time he indulged in muggle books was when you were there to read them to him.

Then he had an idea.

He rose slowly from his desk, the book in hand and made his way to your old bedroom where you were currently hiding. He missed seeing you.

Gellert sat down on the floor with his back yo your door, not caring if his trousers got a little dirty from the floor, and he opened the book to the first page.

Grindelwald began to read aloud.

He didn't care that you didn't respond, but he hoped you were listening because this would the first time in ages you would have done so.

He sat there for an hour before he deemed it enough and bookmarked the page, setting it down beside him. He rested his back against the wood of the door and sighed.

There was muffled shuffling from behind him, you had moved. He listened carefully, relishing in any sound of life from you. If he had to guess it sounded like you had moved closer to the door and had quite possibly sat down, much like he had, up against the door.

"I know you can hear me," he began, "I miss you very much. Yes, in the beginning I was using you. Once I found out you knew the Dumbledore family, I had to use you to find out what they were planning. I needed to know what they were doing while I worked so hard to gather my followers. Albus and I don't see eye to eye any more, I had hoped he'd possibly change his mind once he knew I had one his followers by my side." He sighed softly. "I stopped manipulating you the moment it felt wrong to do so. I was falling in love with you and if only ever felt this way once before. It pains me to know I've brought you misery due to my lies."

He heard light shuffling.

"You have every reason to hate me and hit me like you did, but please don't hide away forever. I can't bare not seeing you any more. I married you because I love you, more than anything in the world, and we are so close to completing our goal. All I have to do is remove Albus from blocking our path and the wizarding world is ours."

Still silence.

"I have declared war against the ministries and against Albus. I want you there by my side as my lover and ally, not as my enemy. If Albus knows I have wronged you, he will have no trouble in convincing you to side with him and I will have lost the most important thing I have."

There was shuffling and a small click of the door. Gellert inched away from it and got to his feet. He could see you peaking through the gap. Your eyes were red, you looked tired and so heart broken.

"Please, my love, know that I would never harm you on purpose and know my feelings for you are real."

You took a few moments to think before opening the door and letting him in. Gellert gathered you in his arms and let you cry it out as you hugged him back, desperate to feel him again.

"When is this supposed to happen?" You asked after calming down a little.

"He's on his way."

You wiped your eyes and looked up at your husband. "I love you."

"I love you more than anything." He smiled down at you, running his hands through your hair. He leaned down and gave you a long awaited kiss. Oh, how he missed you.

"I'm sorry I hit you."

"You had every right to do so."

"You're really not using me anymore?"

"I stopped a lot time ago."

You smiled at each other and were soon embracing one another again. It felt right.

"We should prepare." You muttered.

"Let's get you sorted first." He smiled.

With a nod from you, he helped you clean up and get comfortable, he didn't leave your side what so ever.

Queenie was down the hall looking at the book he had left on the floor.

She wasn't sure why she gave it to him, but she was glad she did.