Chapter 5

Solara waited in Lunita's quiet noodle shop, avoiding her sister's inquisitive glare. It wasn't every day a famous creator and a man who intrigued her more than she cared to admit entered her office and didn't leave. Lunita had no reason to suspect Ju'rah's condition, but Solara felt like the events were etched on her face.

Ernesito strode through the shop in his polished leather shoes, head held high as he beamed at the few patrons in the restaurant. He greeted Lunita with a kiss on each cheek then searched for Solara. Her stomach churned as their eyes met, and she forged a smile, her lips as heavy as an anchor.

"Just when I thought I had a quiet evening alone at home. I was surprised to hear from you after our last conversation."

She dodged his attempt to kiss her cheek. "Thanks for coming on short notice. Can we talk upstairs?"

"You tell me. You wanted me out of your life."

Her chest tightened as the sentiment remained. "This is a professional matter, but urgent."

Ernesito's smile faded. "Of course." He followed her up to the office he'd often told her was too small and run-down. The one in the neighbourhood that made her clients feel like she belonged and wasn't taking advantage of them. Once she'd locked the door, she sat beside him on the couch.

He sat tall and crossed his ankles, legs stretched out. "What do you need my help with? I thought you didn't want to introduce your clients to mem-tech."

"I don't, but I was working with someone who has it."

Leaning forward, he clasped his hands together. "Why wouldn't they go to their regular tech rep? You have no experience."

"They volunteered to share their memories to help a friend understand his sister's death."

Ernesito shook his head and stretched his legs out farther. "I don't like the sounds of that."

"We were watching, not copying the memory."

"Why do you need me?"

Solara's hand reached for her smooth wooden necklace. "Have you ever heard of mem-tech malfunctioning and damaging a client's brain? Or making them go blank?"

His eyebrows jumped to his receding hairline. "Lara, what in Caldozza's name have you done?"

Her slouch deepened. "It's simpler if I show you. Promise you'll listen before jumping to conclusions."

"You know how to make a man nervous."

"Just trust me."

He nodded and followed her off the couch. Outside the patient room, she hesitated as she reached for the metal handle. The urge to vomit overwhelmed her. She was gambling on his lingering feelings to keep him from calling the authorities. She had a fool's odds. A deep breath quelled some nausea. He wouldn't have come if he didn't still care. He might protect her.

In the patient room, Runan sat beside the body with his hands clasped together and his leg bouncing up and down. He met her gaze then assessed Ernesito until he frowned.

Ernesito backed up to the door. "Caldozza's dagger... this is Ju'rah. Is this man's dead sister Messita?"

"Nesito, please," her voice regained its weak tone, the one that had appealed to him dozens of times to have compassion for her work and clients.

"I told you your bleeding heart would be the end of you."

Solara ran her hand through her tangled hair. "We did nothing sinister. After we accessed his memories, he vanished: no complex brain activity. He's still alive in the most basic way, but he's not responding to anything."