Chapter 17

Runan's ears were still ringing from Tunia's news as they ran across the wet streets with black hoods shading their faces. Messita would never threaten their lives, which could only mean the queen had returned. Whether she'd come from Messita's body or was hiding in her head all along, his sister was in danger and had minimal time. He ignored the voice that said it was too late.

Solara screamed as someone tugged her back. Runan ran to her and struck the tall man holding her in the head. Only after the blow landed did the guard uniform catch Runan's eye.

"Caldozza, Ru, that hurt," the man mumbled. "Get your teckie, we need to talk." He released Solara, who was pressed up against the wall, and nodded at Runan.

"It's fine, get her," she said.

He ran after Tunia and dragged her to the dark alley.

"What's going on?" She examined the man's uniform.

"Tunia, this is Ju'rah, Ju'rah, Tunia," Solara said.

Runan inspected the man closer. He didn't share Ju'rah's full nose or lanky figure. The guy had large, beady-eyed and was clean-shaven.

"I jumped like Ita taught me. It took a day to win control over the body, but when I saw you and Sola in Upper Caldozza, I knew Ita had done it. She's the only person who would bring Lowers into this world. Have you found her?" His bright eyes and wide grin would be hard to fake.

"I'll tell you once we're sure it's you. What were you holding when you jumped?" Solara asked.

The man cocked his head. "You noticed? It's an en-pen, it allows your brain energy to flow out of you and into another."

"Where did you get one?" Tunia asked.

"Ita made it after she spent far too much on the metal. But you can't argue with the results. Is it still with my body?"

"Yes."

"Good, I'll need it to jump back. Speaking of which, where did you leave my beautiful bag of flesh."

"At your home with your sister," Runan said.

"Great, but no one's answered my question about Ita."

Solara fidgeted. "I will, once we're off the streets."

"Does your host have an apartment? They'll be searching mine in minutes once they learn of my connection to you and Ita," Tunia said.

"Yeah, a few blocks from here, let's go quick."

With a guard at their side, few people stopped to examine Runan, Solara or Tunia. They shuffled to the side and stared at the ground. Assuming he was really Ju'rah, he'd chosen a very effective body for the moment. At the base of a building, at least a dozen stories high with small barred windows and a rickety travel pod, the man smiled. "My slice of Upper paradise."

Once the pod reached the eleventh floor, they climbed onto a thin stretch of concrete and hurried toward the metal door. Inside, black walls darkened the hallway, and the red tiles hid no stains. The apartment was tighter than Ju'rah's in Lower Caldozza, crammed tight with a large fridge, a few appliances, a table for two, and a love seat.

"Ju'rah, shockingly, this might be a downgrade from your place," Runan said. "Besides the cleanliness."

"Forget that. Where's Messita?"

"She jumped to the queen's mind," Solara said.

The guard's mouth hung open. "But she just ordered a manhunt for you, dead or alive."

"We know. She had a plan she shared with us. Since she isn't following it anymore she might have jumped again or have lost control of the queen's body."