Chapter 11

Solara hadn't spoken a word since they stepped into the hovercar. The plastic wrap on the seats crinkled as she shifted toward the window, her eyes vacant. Runan's heart sunk. Was she in shock or did she still have feelings for her ex? Either way, she must be fighting a battle in her head. If he was closer, he would have comforted her, but the Upper had sat them as far apart as possible and their seatbelts were locked in with a key. No conversation they had was private here. He studied the dirt under his fingernails as the car's air chilled his sweating skin.

"First time in Lower-C, Mr. Udensi?" the driver asked.

"It's hardly a holiday destination and seldom worthy of our attention." The man upturned his nose under the protective suit he still wore.

Runan balled his fists in his lap.

The driver chuckled. "The Lowers are left to fight amongst themselves."

"We will not tell them how to live as long as they continue to produce goods and services for our people. It all settles itself out and the strongest survive."

Despite the frigid air, Runan's blood boiled. The response had been similar when both of his parents fell ill after working with an experimental fertilizer. It intended to accelerate the growth rate of certain vegetables. Not one person who'd supplied the poison to his family offered condolences or support. Instead, they collected rent from orphaned teens.

The buildings of Lower-Caldozza became more lavish, now made of brick and metal, with balconies and sizeable, manicured yards. The want-to-be Uppers congregated here. Soon the vehicle entered the tropical forest barrier where no settlers were allowed. The path narrowed and grew rockier in nature. They whizzed past a few Lower-Caldozzan guards who tipped their hats and nodded, much different from the gun they'd point in a fellow Lower countryman's face should he approach.

After ten minutes of driving through the dense forest which blocked out large beams of light, with only trickles for the climbing thorny vines, they arrived at an imposing cliff. At least three-hundred feet of sheer, flat rock. A wide glowing tube traced its incline past the highest visible point. It was hollow with transparent windows to reveal who or what was travelling. The driver grew closer until a steel wall stood in his way. Mr. Udensi clicked some buttons on his wrist, and the gate raised.

"There are bags under your seat in case you feel ill," the driver said to Runan and Solara.

Then he drove into the tube. As the metal door clanged shut behind them, wind roared around the hovercar, rattling it until the entire thing lifted off the ground. As his stomach somersaulted, Runan gripped the armrest and seat in front of him. Solara sat more relaxed, her vacant eyes on the horizon.

The car rose, each metre they climbed shrinking the trees and riverside city. The farmland stretched along the riverbanks in both directions. Another forest in the distance bordered Lower Caldozza before transitioning into rocky terrain rumoured to be traitorous to cross.

Through the glass roof, a giant metal fan grew closer with sharp blades spinning with no sign they'd stop. Runan closed his eyes and braced his body for impact. The vehicle slowed, and a look up confirmed the fans had stopped.

The driver shook his head. "You'd think they'd never seen proper technology before."

Solara trembled, and her mouth gaped at the intimidating blades. Runan mouthed 'Are you okay' and she nodded meekly. If he had a knife, he would have cut through his locked harness to hold her.

"Most of it is too complex for their minds," the blue-suited man said.

The hovercar left the elevator tunnel and transitioned into a warehouse where people in yellow suits and masks inspected the vehicle and communicated with Mr. Udensi through the car speakers.