Chapter 9

Runan placed the gun under the bed then followed Ernesito and Solara down the hall with his shoulders slumped. As Ernesito grumbled under his breath about Runan deceiving them all, she looked over her shoulder, catching Runan's eye. Her eyebrows knit together, and a slight pout rested on her lips. Her bowed head made his heart ache. Did she believe he'd manipulate her like this? They'd had their falling out as kids, but he was a decent man besides hurting her through their verbal arguments.

The front door swung open to reveal a person in a baggy, full body-suit with a breathing apparatus and blinding headlamps attached above each ear. He pointed a long, plastic-cased gun at them, making the three freeze. The metallic end of the weapon glowed blue in a coil pattern. The man was unlike any police officer Runan had ever dealt with for poaching concerns around the farm.

"Don't move. I'll shoot!" The man's voice was high-pitched and had a robotic quality.

After the three threw up their arms, the man confiscated Solara and Ernesito's phones from their hands. The officer nudged Runan with the gun, the end of it singeing his skin. "Device."

Runan took a step back from the officer's weapon and grimaced. "I can't recall where I left it."

The man held Solara's phone to her eye to do a retinal scan then said, "Number."

"I don't know. My sister is the only one who ever needed it, and she's dead."

The man shook his head, muttering about backwards, uncivilized Lowers and tossed the two devices in a black bag. He took out his own tablet and scanned Runan's body with it. Staring at the screen, the officer's nose crinkled then relaxed. "Fine, come with us."

Outside the house, several oval, floating vehicles glowed faint blue with clear dome covers protecting nine seats, three per row. Bright white flames shot out from underneath, displacing loose dirt and debris from Runan's driveway and singeing small pieces of grass. Most of the hovercrafts had uniformed officers sitting inside without the gear that the first officer wore.

Their skin was paler than Runan's sick mother on her deathbed, and they styled their hair either in elegant up-dos with voluminous curls for the woman or short on the sides and thick in the middle for the men. A few people twitched and shifted in their seats as Runan scrutinized them.

Were these Upper-Caldozzans? The high and mighty who consumed the bulk of food, energy, and even memories from the Lower-Caldozzans? They seemed so timid despite their styled yet sickly appearance.

The officer cleared his throat. "Hold out your hands."

Runan and Solara did as instructed, and the officer bound their wrists with an electrified wire.

Ernesito dug his shoes into the dirt. "This is a misunderstanding. This man tricked my business partner and I into coming here; we're not—"

"Hands," the officer repeated with narrowed eyes.

"Please, I've committed no crime and—"

The stun gun cut Ernesito off before he could plead his case. His muscles seized until he fell to the ground near Solara's feet. As she jumped, Runan reached out for her hand, only for the electric binding to burn his wrists. Wincing, he placed them in front of his body.

The officer's face relaxed. "Where is the amulet?"

"Big purple rock with a gold chain?" Runan asked.

The officer's thin lip curled. "That rock is worth more than your life, Lower."

"Most things are worth more to your people than our well-being."

Runan grimaced as the electricity coursed through his wrists and up to his arms. He couldn't discern how the man controlled the shock, but it wasn't the same amount Ernesito had received because Runan was still standing. It could be dangerous if the man's thoughts commanded it. There'd no way to fight back except knocking him out.

"Your life is in our hands; remember that, Lower."

Once Runan's teeth stopped chattering, he answered, "Yes, Sir. The amulet is inside the house."

"Take me to it."

Solara rocked on the balls of her feet, eyes on Ernesito's hopefully unconscious body. As annoying as the man was, Runan couldn't wish death on anyone in these circumstances.

Runan turned to the officer in the blue protective suit. "I will, but please promise not to harm her."

Solara smiled at him before her eyelids slammed shut, and her frame tensed. Her wrist cuffs glowed white until she gasped for breath and her body slumped. She caught herself a moment later and readjusted her posture.

Runan would have come close to strangling the stranger within inches of death had the enemy not restrained his hands.

"Bring us the amulet. I won't ask again."

The wooden floorboards creaked as the officer followed Runan into his home. They proceeded to the end of the hall to Messita's room. The tension in Runan's chest settled as a flash of gold and purple on the bedspread glinted in the officer's headlamps. The man picked the necklace up as if it would combust with the wrong touch and extracted a large velvet case lined with what appeared to be silk. He set the pendant inside, tucked the chain carefully around it, and closed the box, encasing it in a metal briefcase that materialized mid-air. Once the velvet case was inside, the briefcase vanished.

"This is not over. We will find out how you entered Upper-Caldozza and stole this artifact."

"Upper-Caldozza? That's impossible! I'd never succeed at scaling the cliff face, and no Lower-Caldozzan would be allowed up the elevator. Even if it were possible, I was at the bar and noodle house all evening."

"The amulet is on your bed in your home. Your guilt is irrefutable."

"Someone broke-in while I was away."

The officer pulled out his tablet. A quick hologram scan of the area sent a gentle beep in the air. "There are no signs of forced entry. And you expect me to believe someone broke into your home to place a priceless royal heirloom on your bed. Don't take me for a fool."

"It's my sister's bed, and it sounds far-fetched, but it's true. Someone is framing me." Runan tapped his toe on the floor. The vulture from Mem-Stem who wanted Messita's memories must have caused this arrest. If Runan became a criminal, he'd have to give up his right to be her memory guardian, and they'd get everything.

A feminine scream echoed from outside. His heart stopped.

Solara!

Runan's feet dashed over the floorboards until a paralyzing jolt of electricity sent him flying to the ground, and his vision darkened.